Re: Emigrants from St. Helena to Cape Cod & Martha's Vineyard

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20 7:30 AM
      Burton,

      I read your email. I don't have information to offer, but I do have a question for you. I noticed that you were able to identify the ship and passenger information about one of your ancestors. How did you find this information? I am trying to find information about my St. Helena ancestors who left the island during the 1880's, but I have had no luck. It looks like they left St. Helena and went to England. I have tried many passenger lists but nothing has ever "popped out" for St. Helena. Do you have any suggestions??

      Linda Mehlinger
      (Hopkins and Hercules Families)

    • Corker3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
        I found lots of information on Ancestry.com.  They have lots of passenger lists and I found family leaving St Helena for the UK.  The only thing is you have to pay a subscription; but that is where the information is to be found.

        Chris

        I read your email. I don't have information to offer, but I do have a question for you. I noticed that you were able to identify the ship and passenger information about one of your ancestors. How did you find this information? I am trying to find information about my St. Helena ancestors who left the island during the 1880's, but I have had no luck. It looks like they left St. Helena and went to England. I have tried many passenger lists but nothing has ever "popped out" for St. Helena. Do you have any suggestions??

        Linda Mehlinger
        (Hopkins and Hercules Families)

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Burton Derick <burtonderick37@...> wrote:

        > I am searching for ancestral and historical information on 2 individuals:
        >
        > 1) Eveline/Evalina Redsdale/Redsteal arrived in Martha's Vineyard on the whaler "Niger" from St. Helena, ca. 1880.  She had 2 marriages here (1) Samuiel Peters, (2) Lewis H. Cook, both of whom were Aquinnah (Gay Head) Indians.   Her descendants are still extant.
        >
        > 2) Henry Crowie - a gentleman of color, said he was born in St. Helena; he died in Dennis, Mass., 28 July 1938, aged about 65 years.  He married a local girl here, but had no children.
        >
        > Any assistance on finding more about these two individuals would be appreciated.   We have a photo of Mr. Crowie and his wife that we are willing to share, as well as information on the descendants of Evalina.
        >
        > Burton N. Derick
        > Librarian, Dennis Historical Society
        > bderick37@...

      • faye
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012

          Thankyou so muchfor the Information on where to check for Families leaving St Helena for the UK, I will let you know if I have any luck  Faye

        • Corker3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
            Glad to help Faye.  Chris