Re: Storey, Charles Robert, Captain

  • debzadon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012
      Ed, Just to add to the discussion.
      My relative - a British soldier - John William Barrington Browne (born in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England 1800) - had a relationship with a local woman while stationed on St Helena Island. Her name was Anne Retta and they subsequently had an illegitimate (apparently) child: Anne Browne (b1833 St Helena Is). Anne Browne is my second great grandmother she was brought up by her uncle Sir Thomas Gore Browne.
      I would be very interested in any information you find helpful regarding British soldiers on St Helena. I haven't found any census info in the archives pertaining to St Helena as yet.

      Deborah R

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

      > I can tell you that my husband's gt grandmother was born on St Helena and her parents came from England. I wish there were more records - although a distant cousin did get birth records for her and her brother.

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2012

        For your information, the Friends of St Helena will shortly be adding a transcription of the 1819 and 1827 muster lists of soldiers/officers serving on St Helena in these years. The list includes name, rank, age, where they originated from (country ie England, Wales etc and sometimes the County), their previous occupation, the ship they arrived on and the year of arrival on the island, where they had previously served (many were ex British Army, some were from India) and their date of enlistment. The names will be available for all to see but the other details will only be available to members of the Friends. There are many other benefits of joining the Friends see www.fosh.org.uk

        for more information.

        Regards

        Colin Fox

        My relative - a British soldier - John William Barrington Browne (born in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England 1800) - had a relationship with a local woman while stationed on St Helena Island. Her name was Anne Retta and they subsequently had an illegitimate (apparently) child: Anne Browne (b1833 St Helena Is). Anne Browne is my second great grandmother she was brought up by her uncle Sir Thomas Gore Browne.
        I would be very interested in any information you find helpful regarding British soldiers on St Helena. I haven't found any census info in the archives pertaining to St Helena as yet.

        Deborah R

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Adele" <amclenn1@...> wrote:

        > I can tell you that my husband's gt grandmother was born on St Helena and her parents came from England. I wish there were more records - although a distant cousin did get birth records for her and her brother.

      • cherylg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2012
          Hi Ed
          I too am trying to find info on soldiers based on St Helena Island. Whilst reserching my gr grandfather at the archives in the U.K. , I discovered that he served on the Island and married a Jane Reagan in 1871, I have not been able to find any info on Jane or her family. The families did travel with their husbands as I discovered this on his attestation documents, his family was stationed all over the british empire! My grandfather on my mother`s side was born on the island, his dad`s name is not mentioned on his baptism certificate, I can therefore assume he was illigitimate. I have also not been able to find any info on his mom, Emma Cooper. I believe they are busy building an airport on the island, I will be flying in as soon as it is complete and hopefully be able to find further info on the family.

          Regards
          Cheryl

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Storey" <ecstorey@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to learn more about the "norms" of English soldiers in the St Helena Regiment. (My interest is in the 1845 -1855 period)
          >
          > 1) Would they typically bring their families with them?
          > 2) Might there be any records of the families? (like rolls or newspapers)
          > 3) Are there any enumeration lists from censuses like 1851, 61, or 71?
          > 4) Are there any almanacs, directories, or similar extant?
          >
          > Thank you in advance for any help.
          >
          > Ed Storey

        • WhoKnows
          Message 4 of 8 , May 10 4:17 PM
            Can you tell me I can find this list on the Friend's website? I cannot seem to find it.

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <colin@...> wrote:

            > For your information, the Friends of St Helena will shortly be adding a
            > transcription of the 1819 and 1827 muster lists of soldiers/officers serving
            > on St Helena in these years. The list includes name, rank, age, where they
            > originated from (country ie England, Wales etc and sometimes the County),
            > their previous occupation, the ship they arrived on and the year of arrival
            > on the island, where they had previously served (many were ex British Army,
            > some were from India) and their date of enlistment. The names will be
            > available for all to see but the other details will only be available to
            > members of the Friends. There are many other benefits of joining the Friends
            > see www.fosh.org.uk
            >
            > for more information.
            >

            > Regards
            >

            > Colin Fox

          • foxhome
            Message 5 of 8 , May 13 6:16 AM

              Sorry, this has been delayed but someone is working on it now and it should go on the website in the members only section in the next few days.

              One reason for the delay was an issue with the data. I have added the note below to the transcriptions. I was hoping to be able to look deeper into the records to see if there was a break somewhere where some of the data went awry but I have been too busy with other things. It would be good if someone else could look into it at some stage…

              Health warning!

              These muster lists have been taken from the records of the East India Company which are held in the in the British Library Asia, Pacific and Africa Collections under the generic shelf mark IOR/L/MIL/13/1-14 which covers the period 1789 to 1859. The specific shelf mark for the two lists reproduced here are IOR/L/MIL/13/10 (for 1819) and IOR/L/MIL/13/12 (for 1827).

              When I began my researches into the East India records I had the rather simplistic view that everything I read was correct and free of substantial errors. This is far from true and the muster lists finally put paid to this naivety. Having transcribed both lists I thought that I would cross check to see how many soldiers present in 1819 were still serving in 1827. Quite a lot it transpired. However, instead of aging 8 years some soldiers seemed to have aged only 5 and some 15!. Not only that, but in many cases details that were recorded on one list (place of origin, previous occupation, name of ship and place from whence arrived) were in part different on the other list. I checked my transcripts but it was not that. The records were just different. Why this should be so is guesswork but many of these records must have been transcribed from originals (possibly in the island archives) and sloppy work by clerks or even poor memory of the soldiers themselves has led to this confusion.

              The lists therefore have to come with a health warning! If the records disagree with other information then don’t be surprised. The best way to use these records is first to see whether a name comes up that you recognise. Check both muster lists to see if the name appears in both. If the associated information is identical then you are in luck. If not then you need to do some further hunting by tracking back to the earliest muster your name appears on. I would expect this to be the most accurate. If along the way you come across a variety of associated information, I would be glad to hear of it. It is just possible that the confusion occurred over one year between 1819 and 1827 and was carried forward to subsequent years; to know this would be invaluable.

              Good Luck!

              Colin Fox