Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] 1827 Listing of Slaves

  • caulton@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2011
      Hmm, this interests me.  My ancestor, a "Mittons," also came to New Bedford MA directly from St Helena, possibly as a whales.  Anyone know of any sources to look up this scenario? Does anyone know if this was common?

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
        There is a St. Helena to New England connection for other families from St. Helena. My great-great grandfather, Henry Williams, was born in St. Helena about 1823. He emigrated to North America and settled in Newport Rhode, likely having signed on to a whaling ship. By 1850 he was married to my great-great- grandmother who was born in Nova Scotia. They had one son, Charles Albert. By 1860 Henry had died at sea.

        Carolyn

        --
        Carolyn C. Williams
      • Christine Adams
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
          It was a reasonably common scenario. My Dowling and Legg ancestors immigrated directly to Martha's Vineyard, an island off the coast of MA in 1857 as I recall. Practically all of the younger males were seamen, and the young women married seamen. I think I submitted a breakdown of US census entries in 1860 or thereabouts to this group's website about a year ago. It was a compilation of all persons in the US who gave "St Helena" as their birthplace. There is a fine whaling museum in New Bedford, I found a bit of info there when I visited years back.
          Unlike the major Atlantic ports like NY and Philadelphia, there are very few extant passenger lists for the minor MA ports of entry, New Bedford, Edgartown, etc. With the more extensive availability of historical newspapers on line [for a fee of course] it's possible that there might be some information contained in the newspapers of those areas, although it's hard to imagine they routinely published a full crew list for every incoming vessel.
          Unless they were bringing their familiies, the few records I have seen suggest that single men were much more likely to hire on as crew than pay passage.
          I haven't worked my St Helena lines in several years, so could be missing newer info.
          Christine

          To: lemeek@...; st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          From: caulton@...
          Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:02:16 -0600