A rapid pace of change

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
      Hello listers
      In recent weeks we have talked about landing on St Helena by ship. The
      British government has agreed that an airport is to be built, signed the
      contract, and annual visitor numbers are expected to go from 900 to
      30,000. Here is a comment from a friend who lives on the Island ....
      there is obviously great fear about the rapid pace of change and
      Islanders no longer being allowed to build houses for the family
      members... it is a tradition on the island that young people, with help
      of family and friends, build their own homes... most people have a
      'trade' used within the building industry even if it's not their 'main job.'
      All the best
      Caroline

      "WE are almost all apprehensive about the airport except for business
      people, I suppose - everything is so unplanned, there are so many
      conditions which have to be fulfilled in such a short time, indirect
      taxation means the poorer members of the community suffer and now they
      are trying to re-zone land, so that some 60 islanders cottages would go
      into the Green heart and so prevent them building on their own land, for
      children, while the Shelco hotel complex is allowed on 400 acres of
      Green heart on a wirebird breeding site, beef cattle grazing, main water
      source for the area and of course a Boer Camp site. Not only the hotel
      and golf course but 175 villas!! (3-storey)

      There is a lot of concern about the pace of change and soon we will have
      300 migrant workers descending to make a start, so we must make this
      Xmas season special with our families as it will all change. I am really
      depressed about it. I had hoped we could become a World Heritage Site
      quickly to protect the island's uniqueness, but too late."
    • Leonard Meek
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
        Welcome to Waikiki, Caroline.

        Leonard

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2011

          I agree, an airfield of some sort is necessary. I just hope that ALL the people there can benefit from it, and not just a few "business" people. Controlled growth is vital.

          Leonard
          They have wanted an airport for many years, otherwise they will continue to sink into economic and population decline. The airport will bring jobs, people, fresh thoughts and economic growth. Welcome to the 21st Century! I am sure some people will look back to the "Good Old Days". Most young people won't!

          Sent using BlackBerry®.

          Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:10:03 -0600
          To: Caroline Gaden<cagaden@...>; <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

          It's sad that it has to start with blatant tourism, hotels, re-zoning. Sounds like they feel about to be colonized all over again.

          ----- St-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2011

            Tell me about it! That happens every day here in Hawaii.
            Hard for some to believe, but many people are happier without the outside interventions of other, wealthier, better armed societies.

            Smugly insisting everyone needs to live like onesself, even in the face of the other community's wishes against it, is colonialism plain and simple.