Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Family Names

  • A. Russ
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011

      I have a friend who's last name is Yon, from St Helena. She lives in the UK.
      Alan

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
        Can anyone help me with tracing Arthur John Augustus who joined the Royal Navy and later wet to live in South Africa with his wife Pauline until she died and then he returned to St Helena where he died in the 1980's. I am trying to trace his parents.
        Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

        From: Alice Van Mierlo <AVanMierlo@...>
        Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:13:39 -0500 (EST)
        To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
          I just checked the Friends of St. Helena Membership Board and there is a list of former slaves.  There are many people listed with the last name of YOU.  Do you still think that this is a mistake.

          Also, I ordered the film from the Family Search Library (Mormon Library).

          Linda
        • Caroline Gaden
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
            Hello All
            Those of you seeking information about Chinese heritage on the island
            should read 'St Helena The Chinese Connection' by Barbara B. George
            (self-published in 2002)ISBN 1 899489 22.
            Barbara and her husband Basil are very knowledgeable local historians,
            live on St Helena and run Magma Way Tours, historical tours on the Island
            All the best
            Caroline
          • Alice Van Mierlo
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
              Hi Marianne

              No I did not - sorry wish I could have been of further help.

              Alice

              You didn't come across a Lilian Young by any chance, did you?
              Regards, Marianne