Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Family Names

  • Alice Van Mierlo
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
      Yes it would be YON - I have done a lot of research on the YOUNG, Stephen, Amorett, etc, and have discovered there is a difference.

      Alice

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011

        I have a friend who's last name is Yon, from St Helena. She lives in the UK.
        Alan

      • j.augustus@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
          Can anyone help me with tracing Arthur John Augustus who joined the Royal Navy and later wet to live in South Africa with his wife Pauline until she died and then he returned to St Helena where he died in the 1980's. I am trying to trace his parents.
          Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

          From: Alice Van Mierlo <AVanMierlo@...>
          Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:13:39 -0500 (EST)
          To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
            I just checked the Friends of St. Helena Membership Board and there is a list of former slaves.  There are many people listed with the last name of YOU.  Do you still think that this is a mistake.

            Also, I ordered the film from the Family Search Library (Mormon Library).

            Linda
          • Marianne iow
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
              Hello Alice - thankyou for your reply.
              You didn't come across a Lilian Young by any chance, did you?
              Regards, Marianne

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                Hello All
                Those of you seeking information about Chinese heritage on the island
                should read 'St Helena The Chinese Connection' by Barbara B. George
                (self-published in 2002)ISBN 1 899489 22.
                Barbara and her husband Basil are very knowledgeable local historians,
                live on St Helena and run Magma Way Tours, historical tours on the Island
                All the best
                Caroline
              • Alice Van Mierlo
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Hi Marianne

                  No I did not - sorry wish I could have been of further help.

                  Alice