Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Family Names

  • Marianne iow
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
      Dear Linda,
      How did you go about ordering records from the Family Search Centre? The only ones I could find were on 35mm film.  I am researching the names Henry and Young but on the birth certificate I have for Thelma Henry the informant's name is Edith YON
      Regards, Marianne

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
        Yes it would be YON - I have done a lot of research on the YOUNG, Stephen, Amorett, etc, and have discovered there is a difference.

        Alice

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011

          I have a friend who's last name is Yon, from St Helena. She lives in the UK.
          Alan

        • j.augustus@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
            Can anyone help me with tracing Arthur John Augustus who joined the Royal Navy and later wet to live in South Africa with his wife Pauline until she died and then he returned to St Helena where he died in the 1980's. I am trying to trace his parents.
            Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

            From: Alice Van Mierlo <AVanMierlo@...>
            Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:13:39 -0500 (EST)
            To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
              I just checked the Friends of St. Helena Membership Board and there is a list of former slaves.  There are many people listed with the last name of YOU.  Do you still think that this is a mistake.

              Also, I ordered the film from the Family Search Library (Mormon Library).

              Linda
            • Marianne iow
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                Hello Alice - thankyou for your reply.
                You didn't come across a Lilian Young by any chance, did you?
                Regards, Marianne

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Hello All
                  Those of you seeking information about Chinese heritage on the island
                  should read 'St Helena The Chinese Connection' by Barbara B. George
                  (self-published in 2002)ISBN 1 899489 22.
                  Barbara and her husband Basil are very knowledgeable local historians,
                  live on St Helena and run Magma Way Tours, historical tours on the Island
                  All the best
                  Caroline
                • Alice Van Mierlo
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                    Hi Marianne

                    No I did not - sorry wish I could have been of further help.

                    Alice