Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Family Names

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
      Despite what you say, I am fairly sure this must be YON.  Lower case n and u frequently look alike.

      Regards,
      Alexander

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
        Dear Linda,
        How did you go about ordering records from the Family Search Centre? The only ones I could find were on 35mm film.  I am researching the names Henry and Young but on the birth certificate I have for Thelma Henry the informant's name is Edith YON
        Regards, Marianne

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
          Yes it would be YON - I have done a lot of research on the YOUNG, Stephen, Amorett, etc, and have discovered there is a difference.

          Alice

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011

            I have a friend who's last name is Yon, from St Helena. She lives in the UK.
            Alan

          • j.augustus@btinternet.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
              Can anyone help me with tracing Arthur John Augustus who joined the Royal Navy and later wet to live in South Africa with his wife Pauline until she died and then he returned to St Helena where he died in the 1980's. I am trying to trace his parents.
              Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

              From: Alice Van Mierlo <AVanMierlo@...>
              Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:13:39 -0500 (EST)
              To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                I just checked the Friends of St. Helena Membership Board and there is a list of former slaves.  There are many people listed with the last name of YOU.  Do you still think that this is a mistake.

                Also, I ordered the film from the Family Search Library (Mormon Library).

                Linda
              • Marianne iow
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  Hello Alice - thankyou for your reply.
                  You didn't come across a Lilian Young by any chance, did you?
                  Regards, Marianne

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                    Hello All
                    Those of you seeking information about Chinese heritage on the island
                    should read 'St Helena The Chinese Connection' by Barbara B. George
                    (self-published in 2002)ISBN 1 899489 22.
                    Barbara and her husband Basil are very knowledgeable local historians,
                    live on St Helena and run Magma Way Tours, historical tours on the Island
                    All the best
                    Caroline
                  • Alice Van Mierlo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                      Hi Marianne

                      No I did not - sorry wish I could have been of further help.

                      Alice