Family Names

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
      I ordered some records from the Family Search Library and I spent a few hours on Saturday reviewing birth records. I came across a very common last name and was wondering if anyone knows about the family name of "YOU". I thought it might be YON but it is YOU. I am searching the for COLY family and I found someone married to a YOU. Does anyone know anything about the origins of YOU or anything about the COLY family?

      Thanks,
      Linda Mehlinger
    • A.H.Schulenburg
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
        Despite what you say, I am fairly sure this must be YON.  Lower case n and u frequently look alike.

        Regards,
        Alexander

        I ordered some records from the Family Search Library and   I spent  a few hours on Saturday reviewing birth records. I came across a very common last name and was wondering if anyone knows about the family name of  "YOU". I thought it might be YON but it is YOU.  I am searching the for COLY family and I found someone married to a YOU. Does anyone know anything about the origins of YOU or  anything about the COLY  family?

        Thanks,
        Linda Mehlinger

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            st-helena-genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
            st-helena-genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Marianne iow
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
          Dear Linda,
          How did you go about ordering records from the Family Search Centre? The only ones I could find were on 35mm film.  I am researching the names Henry and Young but on the birth certificate I have for Thelma Henry the informant's name is Edith YON
          Regards, Marianne

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
            Yes it would be YON - I have done a lot of research on the YOUNG, Stephen, Amorett, etc, and have discovered there is a difference.

            Alice

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011

              I have a friend who's last name is Yon, from St Helena. She lives in the UK.
              Alan

            • j.augustus@btinternet.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 8, 2011
                Can anyone help me with tracing Arthur John Augustus who joined the Royal Navy and later wet to live in South Africa with his wife Pauline until she died and then he returned to St Helena where he died in the 1980's. I am trying to trace his parents.
                Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone on O2

                From: Alice Van Mierlo <AVanMierlo@...>
                Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:13:39 -0500 (EST)
                To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                  I just checked the Friends of St. Helena Membership Board and there is a list of former slaves.  There are many people listed with the last name of YOU.  Do you still think that this is a mistake.

                  Also, I ordered the film from the Family Search Library (Mormon Library).

                  Linda
                • Marianne iow
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                    Hello Alice - thankyou for your reply.
                    You didn't come across a Lilian Young by any chance, did you?
                    Regards, Marianne

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                      Hello All
                      Those of you seeking information about Chinese heritage on the island
                      should read 'St Helena The Chinese Connection' by Barbara B. George
                      (self-published in 2002)ISBN 1 899489 22.
                      Barbara and her husband Basil are very knowledgeable local historians,
                      live on St Helena and run Magma Way Tours, historical tours on the Island
                      All the best
                      Caroline
                    • Alice Van Mierlo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 9, 2011
                        Hi Marianne

                        No I did not - sorry wish I could have been of further help.

                        Alice