Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] official - St Helena airport to be built

  • Alice Van Mierlo
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
      Yipee and thank you for letting me know - there is now some hope for me to yet visit the Island - thanks for the support. Nice to meet you good folks.

      Alice M. Van Mierlo
      Canada

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
        Don't expect Ryanair for £29 return!!!

        Yipee and thank you for letting me know - there is now some hope for me to yet visit the Island - thanks for the support. Nice to meet you good folks.

        Alice M. Van Mierlo
        Canada

        'Remote UK island colony of St Helena to get airport'

        A remote British Island where the French Emperor Napoleon was exiled is to get an airport, the International Development Secretary has announced.

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15578596

      • Leonard Meek
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011

          I hope St. Helena doesn't become another Waikiki, overrun with tourists.

          Leonard

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2011
            According to the link they expect the tourism numbers to increase from
            900 to 30,000.... where are all those people going to stay... currently
            there is the Consulate Hotel and Wellington House and a few other
            private places, nothing like the needed capacity... and they'll still
            need the ship for all the cargo....food, cement, cars, white goods...
            the island will need to make some major changes to their relaxed
            lifestyle.... shops may need to open longer just as one example....
            It'll be interesting to see....
            Caroline