Re: official - St Helena airport to be built

  • A.H.Schulenburg
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
      And here is a link to the official statement:

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
        Yipee and thank you for letting me know - there is now some hope for me to yet visit the Island - thanks for the support. Nice to meet you good folks.

        Alice M. Van Mierlo
        Canada

        'Remote UK island colony of St Helena to get airport'

        A remote British Island where the French Emperor Napoleon was exiled is to get an airport, the International Development Secretary has announced.

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15578596

      • Roger Box
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
          Don't expect Ryanair for £29 return!!!

          Yipee and thank you for letting me know - there is now some hope for me to yet visit the Island - thanks for the support. Nice to meet you good folks.

          Alice M. Van Mierlo
          Canada

          'Remote UK island colony of St Helena to get airport'

          A remote British Island where the French Emperor Napoleon was exiled is to get an airport, the International Development Secretary has announced.

          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15578596

        • Leonard Meek
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011

            I hope St. Helena doesn't become another Waikiki, overrun with tourists.

            Leonard

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2011
              According to the link they expect the tourism numbers to increase from
              900 to 30,000.... where are all those people going to stay... currently
              there is the Consulate Hotel and Wellington House and a few other
              private places, nothing like the needed capacity... and they'll still
              need the ship for all the cargo....food, cement, cars, white goods...
              the island will need to make some major changes to their relaxed
              lifestyle.... shops may need to open longer just as one example....
              It'll be interesting to see....
              Caroline