Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: P & O Ships docking at St Helena

  • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
      Apparently they are finally getting an airstrip soon.

      Sent using BlackBerry®.

      From: Alice Van Mierlo <AVanMierlo@...>
      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:41:39 -0400 (EDT)
      To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: P & O Ships docking at St Helena

      Oh my goodness, I had thought of taking a trip there sometime but after reading these comments, not so sure.  Sounds exciting and very interesting but I think I will stay on my mountain bicycle and hiking. When I left Cape Town as soon as we were out of the harbour, I got sea sick for 3 days so this will not be good. Your comments are very Interesting do enjoy reading them.
      Alice M. Van Mierlo

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2011
        Go on RMS St Helena, the mail ship, not as high/tall as the cruise
        ships! Very comfortable, excellent food and great fun.
        Not sure if the airport ever will eventuate and I'm not sure it will be
        commercially viable, the ship will still have to take all the
        food/goods/vehicles/cement etc in containers
        Cheers
        Caroline

      • jcoyle@iinet.net.au
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2011
          Hi Janet ��� I lived on St. Helena from 1967 ��� 69, during which time I not only had to (obviously) land on arrival, but also went on board just about every ship that called at the island as part of my job.   We only had one ship where the captain partially called off the passengers visiting the island, the ���Eugenio C.��� in 1968.  Every other call was fine.  The swell is worse in February each year, but otherwise reasonably fit people can manage on their own -  it���s something of a sport though, you will find an audience watching new arrivals and waiting for them to fall into the sea!
          Please take the opportunity, the island���s scenery is spectacular and the people the kindest I have ever lived amongst.  Don���t be put off if you get a chance to tour the island in the ���charabanc���, it���s an ancient motor vehicle but a great way to see the scenery.
          I envy you ��� I would love to go back, but it���s a long way from Australia...

          John Coyle
          Brisbane (currently in Venice on holiday)

          Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 6:30 AM
          Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: P & O Ships docking at St Helena

          Hi everyone,

          We are on a P & O cruise (Arcadia) due to dock at St Helena in April 2012.  My husbands family have very strong links with St Helena and we are eager to explore, but we are told that not many ships manage to dock due to the swell of the sea.  Can anyone give us any information or hope?? Regards, Ray and Janet Durnall

          On Thu Nov 3 4:41 , Alice Van Mierlo sent:

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2011
            Hi Janet et al - don't worry too much about being able to land at St. Helena !  I lived there from 1967-69, during which time I went on board most of the ships that arrived as part of my job: some 20 or more.  During that time we only had one cruise ship where not everyone could come ashore, as there was a bit of a swell and the master would only let fit people come.  We never had anyone fall in, as the boatmen are very skilled at getting the boat to the steps and helping people off.
            The island is very beautiful, and the people amongst the kindest I have ever lived amongst, so please go for it!
            Sorry this is a little late, I am currently in Italy on holiday from Australia.

            John Coyle, in Lucca