Grant Family Tree

  • Wendy Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2005
      I am trying to trace the Grant family tree.  I know Benjamin Grant was the editor/proprietor of the Guardian Newspaper and that his father Charles Grant took him, along with Louisa his mother to the Island in 1842.  Charles was a Sargeant, not sure if it was the st Helen regiment or not.  I have a lot on the family, but unfortunately not where Charles and Louisa went or when they left the island, although I know they did leave.  I have found the children (6 in total) doted all over the world.  I understand that some of the family resided at the Briars when they were on the Island

      Has anyone got any information on the family, any help would be gratefully received.

      Many thanks

      Wendy Grant Phillips

    • Vivien Chandler
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2008
        Dear Wendy:

        I have an enormous apology to make.  This week I received an email via the St Helena mailing list re the Grant family as I think you did too.  As I went to answer it I remembered that we had had some correspondence a few years ago and looked it up in my Stroud file.  In there I found an email I don't even remember receiving from you - the one below.  All I can think is that it arrived just at the time my husband was made redundant and my son was on the run up to his GCSEs and I think I filed it away by mistake thinking I had answered it.

        I can find no evidence that I ever answered it.  I am so sorry and I hope you will accept my apologies.

        I have to say that, unfortunately, I have not done any more work on my husband's Stroud family and St Helena.  I would love to spend all my time on family history but find I just do not have the time.  What free time I have I have spent working on one side of my mother's family that has proved to be particularly interesting.

        Have you found out any more about the Grants and/or Strouds?  I see you asked me if I could fill in either of the two missing blanks in the list of births - have you managed to do that?  Also I see you say you have a photo of a wedding which may have Sarah Stroud in it.  I would love to see a copy if you have it. Sarah was the older sister, by about two years, of my husband's great grandfather, Silas Stroud.  No photos exist of him, so one of Sarah would be the next best thing.

        Once again, many, many apologies
        Best regards
        Vivien Chandler
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2008

          I have forwarded your mail to Carol Venables,

          who works at the LDS Krugersdorp Famiuly History Center.... this is her gr father as well....and she has done a bit on the Stroud, Greants, and Yons!

          Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd.

          http://website. lineone.net/ ~sthelena/ familyhistory. htm

          http://www.st- helena.org