Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: LDS

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
      Some time awhile back, this same question came up and I remember vaguely that someone recommended files from the East India Trading Company, does anyone recall that string?

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
        St Helena films avaialble in all Family History Librries of the LDS. go to Fam ilysearch, enter South Africa, and then St. Helena, get film number and order from various FHL...

        Isebelle E Krauss
        Genealogist
        27 09546666
        084 542 6048

        Yes, I would like some advice as to where to start in the search of my family history on the island. Please can you let me know if there are websites or where I can find records of peopel who were born, married and died on the island as well as immigration and emmigration records.

        Regards,
        John.

        --
        Carolyn C. Williams

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
          Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

          Any other thoughts?

          Thanks,

          Linda

        • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
            A lot of the ships were merchant: East India Trading Company?

            Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

            From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
            Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
            To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Passenger Lists

            Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

            Any other thoughts?

            Thanks,

            Linda

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

            > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
            > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
            > Cliff
            >
            > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

          • Mars
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
              I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
              http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena

              ona move!
              Mars

              From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
              Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
              To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

              Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

              Any other thoughts?

              Thanks,

              Linda

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

              > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
              > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
              > Cliff
              >
              > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

            • Caroline Gaden
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                Not really an odd web site. St Helena was location of Halley's
                observatory and I believe Captain Cook may have done some astronomical
                observations there too
                Cheers
                Caroline

                On 8/10/2011 3:01 PM, Mars wrote:
                > I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                > http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena
                > ona move!
                > Mars

              • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 16, 2011
                  Did anyone look up St. Helena on the www.familysearch.org site in their catalog to see what microfilm is available?

                  From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                  Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                  To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                  Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                  Any other thoughts?

                  Thanks,

                  Linda

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                  > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                  > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                  > Cliff
                  >
                  > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                • Marianne iow
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 21, 2011
                    To Nancy-Jo - I looked up to see what microfilms were available from 'Family Search' and tried to order some but they couldn't release them as they contained records up to 1935 and were therefore restricted.  It would seem you could request a photocopy of a page individually, if you knew which one!
                    Regards, Marianne

                    From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                    Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000