Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Finding Passenger Records

  • Corker3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
      Sorry to hear that Linda s I found quite a few passenger lists that gave me a lot of information; but I do believe that there must be some missing as there are some people I cannot trace and even though they travelled to the UK by ship.

      Christine Corker

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
        Some time awhile back, this same question came up and I remember vaguely that someone recommended files from the East India Trading Company, does anyone recall that string?

        There are some terrific passeneger lists on Ancestry UK but the downside is that you have to pay to vire them; but I have found a lot of information on them.

        Regards Christine Corker

        --
        Carolyn C. Williams

      • Isebelle Krauss
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
          All Family History Librries are linked to Ancestry

          Isebelle E Krauss
          Genealogist
          27 09546666
          084 542 6048

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
            St Helena films avaialble in all Family History Librries of the LDS. go to Fam ilysearch, enter South Africa, and then St. Helena, get film number and order from various FHL...

            Isebelle E Krauss
            Genealogist
            27 09546666
            084 542 6048

            Yes, I would like some advice as to where to start in the search of my family history on the island. Please can you let me know if there are websites or where I can find records of peopel who were born, married and died on the island as well as immigration and emmigration records.

            Regards,
            John.

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 5, 2011
              Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
              I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
              Cliff

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@...> wrote:

              > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

            • Linda
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                Any other thoughts?

                Thanks,

                Linda

              • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                  A lot of the ships were merchant: East India Trading Company?

                  Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                  From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                  Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                  To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Passenger Lists

                  Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                  Any other thoughts?

                  Thanks,

                  Linda

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                  > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                  > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                  > Cliff
                  >
                  > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                • Mars
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                    I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                    http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena

                    ona move!
                    Mars

                    From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                    Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                    To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                    Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                    Any other thoughts?

                    Thanks,

                    Linda

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                    > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                    > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                    > Cliff
                    >
                    > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                  • Caroline Gaden
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                      Not really an odd web site. St Helena was location of Halley's
                      observatory and I believe Captain Cook may have done some astronomical
                      observations there too
                      Cheers
                      Caroline

                      On 8/10/2011 3:01 PM, Mars wrote:
                      > I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                      > http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena
                      > ona move!
                      > Mars

                    • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 16, 2011
                        Did anyone look up St. Helena on the www.familysearch.org site in their catalog to see what microfilm is available?

                        From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                        Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                        To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                        Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                        Any other thoughts?

                        Thanks,

                        Linda

                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                        > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                        > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                        > Cliff
                        >
                        > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                      • Marianne iow
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 21, 2011
                          To Nancy-Jo - I looked up to see what microfilms were available from 'Family Search' and tried to order some but they couldn't release them as they contained records up to 1935 and were therefore restricted.  It would seem you could request a photocopy of a page individually, if you knew which one!
                          Regards, Marianne

                          From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                          Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000