Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Re: LDS

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hi Carolyn,
      Thank you for sending that email, I live in California and am trying to research passenger lists from St. Helena to America, the UK etc. for the year 1870-1871, hopefully to find an ancestor of mine.  Thank you.

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
        Hi

        There are some terrific passeneger lists on Ancestry UK but the downside is that you have to pay to vire them; but I have found a lot of information on them.

        Regards Christine Corker

        --
        Carolyn C. Williams

      • John Augustus
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
          Hi Carolyn,

          Yes, I would like some advice as to where to start in the search of my family history on the island. Please can you let me know if there are websites or where I can find records of peopel who were born, married and died on the island as well as immigration and emmigration records.

          Regards,
          John.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
            I'm not sure if it is possible where you live but most Public Libraries have a library edition of Ancestry.
            It is free to use and has all the collections that you need.

            Hilary Mackenzie
            PO Box 43,
            Broadford 3658
            Victoria, Australia

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
              Greetings!

              I am also looking for passenger records from St. Helena to America or the UK. I have NOT had much luck with Ancestry.com. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

              Linda Mehlinger

              (Hopkins, Hercules Family)

            • Corker3@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                Sorry to hear that Linda s I found quite a few passenger lists that gave me a lot of information; but I do believe that there must be some missing as there are some people I cannot trace and even though they travelled to the UK by ship.

                Christine Corker

                I am also looking for passenger records from St. Helena to America or the UK. I have NOT had much luck with Ancestry.com. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

                Linda Mehlinger

                (Hopkins, Hercules Family)

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Nancy-Jo Nunez <njnunez@...> wrote:

                > Hi Carolyn,
                > Thank you for sending that email, I live in California and am trying to research passenger lists from St. Helena to America, the UK etc. for the year 1870-1871, hopefully to find an ancestor of mine.  Thank you.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Some time awhile back, this same question came up and I remember vaguely that someone recommended files from the East India Trading Company, does anyone recall that string?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                    All Family History Librries are linked to Ancestry

                    Isebelle E Krauss
                    Genealogist
                    27 09546666
                    084 542 6048

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                      St Helena films avaialble in all Family History Librries of the LDS. go to Fam ilysearch, enter South Africa, and then St. Helena, get film number and order from various FHL...

                      Isebelle E Krauss
                      Genealogist
                      27 09546666
                      084 542 6048

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 2011
                        Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                        I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                        Cliff

                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@...> wrote:

                        > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                      • Linda
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                          Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                          Any other thoughts?

                          Thanks,

                          Linda

                        • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                            A lot of the ships were merchant: East India Trading Company?

                            Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                            From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                            Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                            To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                            Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Passenger Lists

                            Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                            Any other thoughts?

                            Thanks,

                            Linda

                            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                            > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                            > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                            > Cliff
                            >
                            > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                          • Mars
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                              I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                              http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena

                              ona move!
                              Mars

                              From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                              Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                              To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                              Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                              Any other thoughts?

                              Thanks,

                              Linda

                              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                              > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                              > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                              > Cliff
                              >
                              > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                            • Caroline Gaden
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                                Not really an odd web site. St Helena was location of Halley's
                                observatory and I believe Captain Cook may have done some astronomical
                                observations there too
                                Cheers
                                Caroline

                                On 8/10/2011 3:01 PM, Mars wrote:
                                > I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                                > http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena
                                > ona move!
                                > Mars

                              • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 16, 2011
                                  Did anyone look up St. Helena on the www.familysearch.org site in their catalog to see what microfilm is available?

                                  From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                                  Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                                  To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                                  Any other thoughts?

                                  Thanks,

                                  Linda

                                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                                  > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                                  > Cliff
                                  >
                                  > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                                • Marianne iow
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 21, 2011
                                    To Nancy-Jo - I looked up to see what microfilms were available from 'Family Search' and tried to order some but they couldn't release them as they contained records up to 1935 and were therefore restricted.  It would seem you could request a photocopy of a page individually, if you knew which one!
                                    Regards, Marianne

                                    From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                                    Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000