Re: LDS

  • Carolyn Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2011
      HI:

      LDS is Latter Day Saints, the Mormon Church. Their Family History Centers are branches of the Mormon Church's main Family History Library in Salt Lake City that is the largest repository of genealogical records.

      Where do you live and what locales are you researching? Do you want to know about physical records in libraries and archives or electronic records?

      Carolyn

      --
      Carolyn C. Williams
    • Nancy-Jo Nunez
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
        Hi Carolyn,
        Thank you for sending that email, I live in California and am trying to research passenger lists from St. Helena to America, the UK etc. for the year 1870-1871, hopefully to find an ancestor of mine.  Thank you.

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
          Hi

          There are some terrific passeneger lists on Ancestry UK but the downside is that you have to pay to vire them; but I have found a lot of information on them.

          Regards Christine Corker

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
            Hi Carolyn,

            Yes, I would like some advice as to where to start in the search of my family history on the island. Please can you let me know if there are websites or where I can find records of peopel who were born, married and died on the island as well as immigration and emmigration records.

            Regards,
            John.

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 3, 2011
              I'm not sure if it is possible where you live but most Public Libraries have a library edition of Ancestry.
              It is free to use and has all the collections that you need.

              Hilary Mackenzie
              PO Box 43,
              Broadford 3658
              Victoria, Australia

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                Greetings!

                I am also looking for passenger records from St. Helena to America or the UK. I have NOT had much luck with Ancestry.com. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

                Linda Mehlinger

                (Hopkins, Hercules Family)

              • Corker3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                  Sorry to hear that Linda s I found quite a few passenger lists that gave me a lot of information; but I do believe that there must be some missing as there are some people I cannot trace and even though they travelled to the UK by ship.

                  Christine Corker

                  I am also looking for passenger records from St. Helena to America or the UK. I have NOT had much luck with Ancestry.com. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

                  Linda Mehlinger

                  (Hopkins, Hercules Family)

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Nancy-Jo Nunez <njnunez@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Carolyn,
                  > Thank you for sending that email, I live in California and am trying to research passenger lists from St. Helena to America, the UK etc. for the year 1870-1871, hopefully to find an ancestor of mine.  Thank you.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                    Some time awhile back, this same question came up and I remember vaguely that someone recommended files from the East India Trading Company, does anyone recall that string?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                      All Family History Librries are linked to Ancestry

                      Isebelle E Krauss
                      Genealogist
                      27 09546666
                      084 542 6048

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 4, 2011
                        St Helena films avaialble in all Family History Librries of the LDS. go to Fam ilysearch, enter South Africa, and then St. Helena, get film number and order from various FHL...

                        Isebelle E Krauss
                        Genealogist
                        27 09546666
                        084 542 6048

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 5, 2011
                          Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                          I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                          Cliff

                          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@...> wrote:

                          > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                        • Linda
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 6, 2011
                            Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                            Any other thoughts?

                            Thanks,

                            Linda

                          • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                              A lot of the ships were merchant: East India Trading Company?

                              Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                              From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                              Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                              To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                              Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Passenger Lists

                              Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                              Any other thoughts?

                              Thanks,

                              Linda

                              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                              > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                              > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                              > Cliff
                              >
                              > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                            • Mars
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 7, 2011
                                I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                                http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena

                                ona move!
                                Mars

                                From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                                Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                                To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                                Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                                Any other thoughts?

                                Thanks,

                                Linda

                                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                                > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                                > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                                > Cliff
                                >
                                > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                              • Caroline Gaden
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 9, 2011
                                  Not really an odd web site. St Helena was location of Halley's
                                  observatory and I believe Captain Cook may have done some astronomical
                                  observations there too
                                  Cheers
                                  Caroline

                                  On 8/10/2011 3:01 PM, Mars wrote:
                                  > I just ran across this page about the island -- in an odd location.
                                  > http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Saint_Helena
                                  > ona move!
                                  > Mars

                                • Nancy-Jo Nunez
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 16, 2011
                                    Did anyone look up St. Helena on the www.familysearch.org site in their catalog to see what microfilm is available?

                                    From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                                    Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000
                                    To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Thanks for the website. However, I am looking for folks who may have left the UK between 1864 and 1870. This site starts with the year 1890.

                                    Any other thoughts?

                                    Thanks,

                                    Linda

                                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Clifford" <sthelena.postcards@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi thought you like like to go to http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action
                                    > I have found people from the uk to St.Helena
                                    > Cliff
                                    >
                                    > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <j.augustus@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hello, my membership with the group is pending at the moment as I have just joined, but wanted to know what LDS stands for and if there are any other sites that would give genealogy informtion. Kindest regards, John.

                                  • Marianne iow
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 21, 2011
                                      To Nancy-Jo - I looked up to see what microfilms were available from 'Family Search' and tried to order some but they couldn't release them as they contained records up to 1935 and were therefore restricted.  It would seem you could request a photocopy of a page individually, if you knew which one!
                                      Regards, Marianne

                                      From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                                      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                      Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 14:16:19 -0000