Re: Emigrants from St. Helena to Cape Cod & Martha's Vineyard

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011
      Burton,

      I read your email. I don't have information to offer, but I do have a question for you. I noticed that you were able to identify the ship and passenger information about one of your ancestors. How did you find this information? I am trying to find information about my St. Helena ancestors who left the island during the 1880's, but I have had no luck. It looks like they left St. Helena and went to England. I have tried many passenger lists but nothing has ever "popped out" for St. Helena. Do you have any suggestions??

      Linda Mehlinger
      (Hopkins and Hercules Families)

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Burton Derick <burtonderick37@...> wrote:

      > I am searching for ancestral and historical information on 2 individuals:
      >
      > 1) Eveline/Evalina Redsdale/Redsteal arrived in Martha's Vineyard on the whaler "Niger" from St. Helena, ca. 1880.  She had 2 marriages here (1) Samuiel Peters, (2) Lewis H. Cook, both of whom were Aquinnah (Gay Head) Indians.   Her descendants are still extant.
      >
      > 2) Henry Crowie - a gentleman of color, said he was born in St. Helena; he died in Dennis, Mass., 28 July 1938, aged about 65 years.  He married a local girl here, but had no children.
      >
      > Any assistance on finding more about these two individuals would be appreciated.   We have a photo of Mr. Crowie and his wife that we are willing to share, as well as information on the descendants of Evalina.
      >
      > Burton N. Derick
      > Librarian, Dennis Historical Society
      > bderick37@...

    • Marianne iow
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2011
        Thankyou Burton for that lovely photo. I expect there is a family link there and am hoping to find out more.
        Best Wishes, Marianne

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
          I found lots of information on Ancestry.com.  They have lots of passenger lists and I found family leaving St Helena for the UK.  The only thing is you have to pay a subscription; but that is where the information is to be found.

          Chris

          I read your email. I don't have information to offer, but I do have a question for you. I noticed that you were able to identify the ship and passenger information about one of your ancestors. How did you find this information? I am trying to find information about my St. Helena ancestors who left the island during the 1880's, but I have had no luck. It looks like they left St. Helena and went to England. I have tried many passenger lists but nothing has ever "popped out" for St. Helena. Do you have any suggestions??

          Linda Mehlinger
          (Hopkins and Hercules Families)

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Burton Derick <burtonderick37@...> wrote:

          > I am searching for ancestral and historical information on 2 individuals:
          >
          > 1) Eveline/Evalina Redsdale/Redsteal arrived in Martha's Vineyard on the whaler "Niger" from St. Helena, ca. 1880.  She had 2 marriages here (1) Samuiel Peters, (2) Lewis H. Cook, both of whom were Aquinnah (Gay Head) Indians.   Her descendants are still extant.
          >
          > 2) Henry Crowie - a gentleman of color, said he was born in St. Helena; he died in Dennis, Mass., 28 July 1938, aged about 65 years.  He married a local girl here, but had no children.
          >
          > Any assistance on finding more about these two individuals would be appreciated.   We have a photo of Mr. Crowie and his wife that we are willing to share, as well as information on the descendants of Evalina.
          >
          > Burton N. Derick
          > Librarian, Dennis Historical Society
          > bderick37@...

        • faye
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012

            Thankyou so muchfor the Information on where to check for Families leaving St Helena for the UK, I will let you know if I have any luck  Faye

          • Corker3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
              Glad to help Faye.  Chris