Re: Emigrants from St. Helena to Cape Cod & Martha's Vineyard

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011
      Burton,

      I read your email. I don't have information to offer, but I do have a question for you. I noticed that you were able to identify the ship and passenger information about one of your ancestors. How did you find this information? I am trying to find information about my St. Helena ancestors who left the island during the 1880's, but I have had no luck. It looks like they left St. Helena and went to England. I have tried many passenger lists but nothing has ever "popped out" for St. Helena. Do you have any suggestions??

      Linda Mehlinger
      (Hopkins and Hercules Families)

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Burton Derick <burtonderick37@...> wrote:

      > I am searching for ancestral and historical information on 2 individuals:
      >
      > 1) Eveline/Evalina Redsdale/Redsteal arrived in Martha's Vineyard on the whaler "Niger" from St. Helena, ca. 1880.  She had 2 marriages here (1) Samuiel Peters, (2) Lewis H. Cook, both of whom were Aquinnah (Gay Head) Indians.   Her descendants are still extant.
      >
      > 2) Henry Crowie - a gentleman of color, said he was born in St. Helena; he died in Dennis, Mass., 28 July 1938, aged about 65 years.  He married a local girl here, but had no children.
      >
      > Any assistance on finding more about these two individuals would be appreciated.   We have a photo of Mr. Crowie and his wife that we are willing to share, as well as information on the descendants of Evalina.
      >
      > Burton N. Derick
      > Librarian, Dennis Historical Society
      > bderick37@...

    • Burton Derick
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 29, 2011
      The photo of Henry Crowie & wife Emma, and the caption which accompanies the photo, are attached.

      Burt Derick

      We are also researching the name Crowie and would love to see the photo that you have. I'm not sure how common the surname Crowie is on St. Helena. I know there were 3 on the slave lists compiled in the 1800s. We have a Thelma and Vera Crowie, born around 1930 and we think their father's name was Dennis.
      My email address is rockpipit2222@...

      Message 3 of 10 , Aug 29, 2011
        Thankyou Burton for that lovely photo. I expect there is a family link there and am hoping to find out more.
        Best Wishes, Marianne

        Message 4 of 10 , Aug 29, 2011
          Thankyou, Juliet for replying.  I know Thelma and Vera Crowie went to South Africa for a while before going on to England. When I find any new information I'll be in touch,
          Best Wishes, Marianne.

          Don't know if it will help but a lot of Crowie's from St Helena went to South Africa. They are also part of my family I am trying to research. Along with Jolliffe's that were in St Helena during that time.

          Cheers

          Juliet

          Message 5 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012
            I found lots of information on Ancestry.com.  They have lots of passenger lists and I found family leaving St Helena for the UK.  The only thing is you have to pay a subscription; but that is where the information is to be found.

            Chris

            I read your email. I don't have information to offer, but I do have a question for you. I noticed that you were able to identify the ship and passenger information about one of your ancestors. How did you find this information? I am trying to find information about my St. Helena ancestors who left the island during the 1880's, but I have had no luck. It looks like they left St. Helena and went to England. I have tried many passenger lists but nothing has ever "popped out" for St. Helena. Do you have any suggestions??

            Linda Mehlinger
            (Hopkins and Hercules Families)

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Burton Derick <burtonderick37@...> wrote:

            > I am searching for ancestral and historical information on 2 individuals:
            >
            > 1) Eveline/Evalina Redsdale/Redsteal arrived in Martha's Vineyard on the whaler "Niger" from St. Helena, ca. 1880.  She had 2 marriages here (1) Samuiel Peters, (2) Lewis H. Cook, both of whom were Aquinnah (Gay Head) Indians.   Her descendants are still extant.
            >
            > 2) Henry Crowie - a gentleman of color, said he was born in St. Helena; he died in Dennis, Mass., 28 July 1938, aged about 65 years.  He married a local girl here, but had no children.
            >
            > Any assistance on finding more about these two individuals would be appreciated.   We have a photo of Mr. Crowie and his wife that we are willing to share, as well as information on the descendants of Evalina.
            >
            > Burton N. Derick
            > Librarian, Dennis Historical Society
            > bderick37@...

          • faye
            Message 6 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012

              Thankyou so muchfor the Information on where to check for Families leaving St Helena for the UK, I will let you know if I have any luck  Faye

            • Corker3@aol.com
              Message 7 of 10 , Feb 22, 2012
                Glad to help Faye.  Chris