Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ancestry.Com

  • Mars
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2011
      I use Ancestry and have a hierarchy in my method of which data I use/trust when i see conflicts.
      For example, I prioritize Death Indexes over Census reports, because Death indexes have checked the info already, but a Census is all filtered through one guy walking from house to house and hopefully spelling stuff right and hopefully not being hard of hearing, or an illegible writer, LOL.  So I'd suggest devising your own systems of gathering data, noting conflicting info, and deciding which to take as Fact.

      ona move!
      Mars

      From: Linda <msulab@...>
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ancestry.Com
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 9:38 AM

      Greetings!

      Has anyone had any luck in finding ANY "St. Helena" type information on Ancestry.com? I had a trial subscription to their World website, but I could only find information on other British territories like the Channel Islands.

      Does anyone know if census data does exist for St. Helena during the 1840-1860's time frame?

      Linda
      Baltimore, Maryland USA

    • Isebelle Krauss
      Message 2 of 6 , May 13, 2011
        Lds Data on the Old IGI system was purely genealogy submitted by freelance not professioal reseasrchers.
        The present Familysearch, has in some instances the films that we have taken, an Index and the actual image of the page, Please check the Famlysearch Beta version and Familysearch Labs versions.
        Volunteers do the Indexing worldwide, but the films on St Helene can be viewed at any of our LDS libraries. look ast the Familysearch, Libary And then Library Catalogue, type the search fields in, and see what films are avaialb le. I personally found over 200 names for various families on the films.

        Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd
        authorized reperesentative Southern Africa
        Oral Genealogy, Aquisitions
        Genealogical Society of Utah, ta. Familysearch.
        27 954 6666 h
        082 851 5648 mobile
         011 645 1606 office