Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ancestry.Com

  • Barbara MacLeod
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2011
      Hello and I may have responded to the wrong message in an attempt to connect with you. I am in Annapolis and have "done" ancestry but found mor einformation in using the LDS library's microfilm to check birth and death dates for my Leo and Congdon family. There must be a Mormon library in Baltimore that can assist you. Cheers, B

      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2011
        I would agree....LDS would be better than ancestry.com

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2011

          It should be remembered that LDS data is not always reliable. Much of the data is submitted by individuals, with no documentation. I found info on my ancestors that was in error. It had been submitted by my aunt, based on what she thought at the time to be correct. Later documentation proved to be contrary to some of her assumptions. It pays to check multiple sources.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2011
            I use Ancestry and have a hierarchy in my method of which data I use/trust when i see conflicts.
            For example, I prioritize Death Indexes over Census reports, because Death indexes have checked the info already, but a Census is all filtered through one guy walking from house to house and hopefully spelling stuff right and hopefully not being hard of hearing, or an illegible writer, LOL.  So I'd suggest devising your own systems of gathering data, noting conflicting info, and deciding which to take as Fact.

            ona move!
            Mars

            Message 5 of 6 , May 13, 2011
              Lds Data on the Old IGI system was purely genealogy submitted by freelance not professioal reseasrchers.
              The present Familysearch, has in some instances the films that we have taken, an Index and the actual image of the page, Please check the Famlysearch Beta version and Familysearch Labs versions.
              Volunteers do the Indexing worldwide, but the films on St Helene can be viewed at any of our LDS libraries. look ast the Familysearch, Libary And then Library Catalogue, type the search fields in, and see what films are avaialb le. I personally found over 200 names for various families on the films.

              Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd
              authorized reperesentative Southern Africa
              Oral Genealogy, Aquisitions
              Genealogical Society of Utah, ta. Familysearch.
              27 954 6666 h
              082 851 5648 mobile
               011 645 1606 office