Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] DNA TEST

  • Ray Forsberg
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 9, 2011
      Hi,

      This is of course absolutely true;  however, the "H" haplogroup is found extensively in North Africa and amongst the Tuareg as well, so trying to prove ethnicity is always a difficult one.

      Cheers,

      Carol

      On 9 April 2011 23:45, Mars <caulton@...> wrote:

      A quick footnote on this info:
      This doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone on the list, as we are not all in Europe, nor are we all of European descent.

      From: Ray Forsberg <forsbergray@...>Sent: Fri, April 8, 2011 10:19:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] DNA TEST

      Hi Linda,

      I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

      Cheers,

      Carol

      On 9 April 2011 00:49, Linda <msulab@...> wrote:

      Alan,

      Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

      The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

      The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

      I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

      Take care,

      Linda

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

      > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
      > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
      > Regards,
      > Alan

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 10, 2011
        Greetings!

        I believe that the blood test and the swab test are really very different. The blood test appears to give an idea of racial mix. The swab test, I just discovered does consist of two different tests.

        Check out this website that describes the two types of test. One will test for lineage and other will test for bio-geographic ancestry.

        I had a swab test but it was the "cheaper" one that only tested lineage origins. I bought my test from Ancestry.com.

        Linda
        (Looking for Hopkins, Hercules, and Cooley Families)

        http://www.ancestrybydna.com/ancestry-by-dna.php

      • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 10, 2011
          Hi,

          The DNA in your cheek swab cells and your blood cells is identical. The commercial tests which use these different methods may well look for and provide different DNA information. Shop around but the cheek swab test is less painful and equally accurate as the blood test.

          Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

          From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
          Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:34:14 -0000