William Ridge and Fanny Thomas

  • Elaine Sweet
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7, 2011
      Hi Frank,
      Thank you for your response. I would love to receive a copy of the family tree.
      I don't have grace's line on a formal tree format as  yet, however, I can send you all the information if you would like to add it to what  you already know.
      Once again thank you Frank
      Regards
      Elaine
    • Frank Craig
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011
        Hi Linda,

        I checked back - I didn't actually take a blood test but a mouth swab test. Both methods will give identical results as they end up using DNA from cells in both sample. I suspect most tests nowadays are mouth swabs as they are safer and less painful and do not involve transporting blood. I used a comapny called DNA Print Genomics and the test cost between $200-$300.

        Regards

        Frank F Craig

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011
          Hi there,

          I used a test called DNA Print Genomics. However, there are many suppliers. The one you quoted looks very good too.

          Regards

          Frank F Craig

          Is this the type of test you are using? See link below.

          What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

          Thanks,

          Linda Mehlinger

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

          > Also,
          >
          > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
          >
          > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        • foxhome
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011

            Regards the origin of slaves. In the early 18th Century most slaves seemed to have come from Madagascar but later in the century it seems likely that more and more came from the Indian Ocean rim. In 1816, 56 slaves made representations to the Government of St Helena regards what they thought was their illegal removal from their homes by the officers and crew of east Indiamen and their transportation to St Helena. As these people had been brought to the island before 1792 when the trade in slaves to the island was abolished their cases were thrown out. Some of these people stated what country they came from. These are listed below:

            1        Bombay

            2        Tapanooley (Tapanulu) North Sumatra

            3        Calcutta

            4        Bengal

            5        Bencoolen (South west Sumatra)

            6        Bombay

            7        ?

            8        Bencoolen

            9        Sri Lanka

            10    Mozambique

            11    Bombay

            12    Cochin (India)

            13    Bencoolen

            14    Tellicherri (Kerala India)

            15    Calcutta

            16    Bengal

            17    Mozambique

            18    Bengal

            19    Madras

            20

            21    ?

            22    Madras

            23    ?

            24    West Indies?

            25    Sumatra

            26    ?

            27    ?

            28    Bencoolem

            29    ?

            30    Madras

            31    Bencoolen

            32    Pondicherri (SE India)

            33    Bengal

            34    ?

            35    ?

            36    ?

            37    ?

            38    ?

            39    ?

            40    ?

            41    ?

            42    ?

            43    ?

            44    Bengal

            45    ?

            46    ?

            47    ?

            48    ?

            49    ?

            50    ?

            51    ?

            52    Calcutta

            53    ?

            54    ?

            55    Cochin

            56    ?

            Regards

            Colin

            I used a test called DNA Print Genomics. However, there are many suppliers. The one you quoted looks very good too.

            Regards

            Frank F Craig

            Is this the type of test you are using? See link below.

            What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

            Thanks,

            Linda Mehlinger

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

            > Also,
            >
            > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
            >
            > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

          • Linda
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011
              Alan,

              Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

              The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

              The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

              I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

              Take care,

              Linda

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

              > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
              > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
              > Regards,
              > Alan

            • A. Russ
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011
                HI Linda,
                Now I am really confused. I have not taken any test yet. I'm not sure which one to take now. I just heard about this test yesterday. My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. I'm not sure of my grandmothers history prior to that. Where do you live?

              • Ray Forsberg
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 8, 2011
                  Hi Linda,

                  I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

                  Cheers,

                  Carol

                • Mars
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 9, 2011
                    A quick footnote on this info:
                    This doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone on the list, as we are not all in Europe, nor are we all of European descent.

                    I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

                    Cheers,

                    Carol

                    On 9 April 2011 00:49, Linda <msulab@...> wrote:

                    Alan,

                    Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

                    The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

                    The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

                    I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

                    Take care,

                    Linda

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

                    > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
                    > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
                    > Regards,
                    > Alan

                  • Ray Forsberg
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 9, 2011
                      Hi,

                      This is of course absolutely true;  however, the "H" haplogroup is found extensively in North Africa and amongst the Tuareg as well, so trying to prove ethnicity is always a difficult one.

                      Cheers,

                      Carol

                      From: Ray Forsberg <forsbergray@...>Sent: Fri, April 8, 2011 10:19:54 PM

                      Hi Linda,

                      I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

                      Cheers,

                      Carol

                      On 9 April 2011 00:49, Linda <msulab@...> wrote:

                      Alan,

                      Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

                      The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

                      The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

                      I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

                      Take care,

                      Linda

                      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

                      > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
                      > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
                      > Regards,
                      > Alan

                    • Linda
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 10, 2011
                        Greetings!

                        I believe that the blood test and the swab test are really very different. The blood test appears to give an idea of racial mix. The swab test, I just discovered does consist of two different tests.

                        Check out this website that describes the two types of test. One will test for lineage and other will test for bio-geographic ancestry.

                        I had a swab test but it was the "cheaper" one that only tested lineage origins. I bought my test from Ancestry.com.

                        Linda
                        (Looking for Hopkins, Hercules, and Cooley Families)

                        http://www.ancestrybydna.com/ancestry-by-dna.php

                      • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 10, 2011
                          Hi,

                          The DNA in your cheek swab cells and your blood cells is identical. The commercial tests which use these different methods may well look for and provide different DNA information. Shop around but the cheek swab test is less painful and equally accurate as the blood test.

                          Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                          From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                          Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:34:14 -0000