William Ridge and Fanny Thomas

  • elswe10
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 5 6:46 PM
      I have been following with great interest the discussion on William Ridge and Fanny Thomas. I am also a descendant of William and Fanny, my 2x great grandmother was a daughter of William and Fanny.
      My 2x greatgrand mother is Grace Ridge born in 1814.
      Grace married Michael Minton and arrived in Australia late 1849.
      The list of siblings I have uncovered so far is as follows.
      Mary Ann Ridge b. 1813
      Grace Ridge b. 1814
      Elizabeth Ridge b. 1816
      William Ridge b. 1817
      Louisa Ridge b.1819
      Frances Ridge b. 1821
      Caroline Ridge b. 1822
      There may be more, as with all family history this is a work in progress.
      Thank you to members of the list who have provided information on William and Fanny, if anyone knows what happened to them ,has information on other family members or can send me in the right direct I would love to hear from you to compare or exchange information. I am happy to share what information I have on Grace and her family here in Australia.
      Elaine
    • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 6 1:11 PM
        Well. You also have relatives in Scotland, England, Ireland, St Helena and Australia (some of my uncles from your side emigrated there about 20 years ago).

        I can mail you a family tree of them in that family line if you want?

        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 6 1:16 PM
          Also,

          I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.

          Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7 4:22 AM
            What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

            Thanks,

            Linda Mehlinger

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

            > Also,
            >
            > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
            >
            > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

          • A. Russ
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7 2:09 PM
              I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
              Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
              Regards,
              Alan

              What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

              Thanks,

              Linda Mehlinger

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

              > Also,
              >
              > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
              >
              > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

            • A. Russ
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7 2:12 PM
                Is this the type of test you are using? See link below.

                What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

                Thanks,

                Linda Mehlinger

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

                > Also,
                >
                > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
                >
                > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

              • Elaine Sweet
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7 10:36 PM
                  Hi Frank,
                  Thank you for your response. I would love to receive a copy of the family tree.
                  I don't have grace's line on a formal tree format as  yet, however, I can send you all the information if you would like to add it to what  you already know.
                  Once again thank you Frank
                  Regards
                  Elaine
                • Frank Craig
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 8 3:49 AM
                    Hi Linda,

                    I checked back - I didn't actually take a blood test but a mouth swab test. Both methods will give identical results as they end up using DNA from cells in both sample. I suspect most tests nowadays are mouth swabs as they are safer and less painful and do not involve transporting blood. I used a comapny called DNA Print Genomics and the test cost between $200-$300.

                    Regards

                    Frank F Craig

                    What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

                    Thanks,

                    Linda Mehlinger

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

                    > Also,
                    >
                    > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
                    >
                    > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                  • Frank Craig
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 8 4:00 AM
                      Hi there,

                      I used a test called DNA Print Genomics. However, there are many suppliers. The one you quoted looks very good too.

                      Regards

                      Frank F Craig

                      Is this the type of test you are using? See link below.

                      What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

                      Thanks,

                      Linda Mehlinger

                      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

                      > Also,
                      >
                      > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
                      >
                      > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                    • foxhome
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 8 7:20 AM

                        Regards the origin of slaves. In the early 18th Century most slaves seemed to have come from Madagascar but later in the century it seems likely that more and more came from the Indian Ocean rim. In 1816, 56 slaves made representations to the Government of St Helena regards what they thought was their illegal removal from their homes by the officers and crew of east Indiamen and their transportation to St Helena. As these people had been brought to the island before 1792 when the trade in slaves to the island was abolished their cases were thrown out. Some of these people stated what country they came from. These are listed below:

                        1        Bombay

                        2        Tapanooley (Tapanulu) North Sumatra

                        3        Calcutta

                        4        Bengal

                        5        Bencoolen (South west Sumatra)

                        6        Bombay

                        7        ?

                        8        Bencoolen

                        9        Sri Lanka

                        10    Mozambique

                        11    Bombay

                        12    Cochin (India)

                        13    Bencoolen

                        14    Tellicherri (Kerala India)

                        15    Calcutta

                        16    Bengal

                        17    Mozambique

                        18    Bengal

                        19    Madras

                        20

                        21    ?

                        22    Madras

                        23    ?

                        24    West Indies?

                        25    Sumatra

                        26    ?

                        27    ?

                        28    Bencoolem

                        29    ?

                        30    Madras

                        31    Bencoolen

                        32    Pondicherri (SE India)

                        33    Bengal

                        34    ?

                        35    ?

                        36    ?

                        37    ?

                        38    ?

                        39    ?

                        40    ?

                        41    ?

                        42    ?

                        43    ?

                        44    Bengal

                        45    ?

                        46    ?

                        47    ?

                        48    ?

                        49    ?

                        50    ?

                        51    ?

                        52    Calcutta

                        53    ?

                        54    ?

                        55    Cochin

                        56    ?

                        Regards

                        Colin

                        I used a test called DNA Print Genomics. However, there are many suppliers. The one you quoted looks very good too.

                        Regards

                        Frank F Craig

                        Is this the type of test you are using? See link below.

                        What genelogy blood test did you use? I have taken the "swab" test, but not the blood test and I am very interested in doing this since I discovered that I hav relatives who are from St. Helena.

                        Thanks,

                        Linda Mehlinger

                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, frankfcraig@... wrote:

                        > Also,
                        >
                        > I got a genealogy blood test done. I am 85% European and around 15% East Asian. The latter is defined as containing China, Japan, Korea and the Pacific Islands. It takes more than 30% genetic heritage to have a physical effect, hence, I look Caucasian. I reckon the East Asian element is from Fanny (Frances) Slater. Funnily enough my name is Francis and I am male.
                        >
                        > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                      • Linda
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 8 7:49 AM
                          Alan,

                          Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

                          The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

                          The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

                          I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

                          Take care,

                          Linda

                          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

                          > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
                          > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
                          > Regards,
                          > Alan

                        • A. Russ
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 8 8:23 AM
                            HI Linda,
                            Now I am really confused. I have not taken any test yet. I'm not sure which one to take now. I just heard about this test yesterday. My mother and grandmother were born on St. Helena. I'm not sure of my grandmothers history prior to that. Where do you live?

                          • Ray Forsberg
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 8 8:19 PM
                              Hi Linda,

                              I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

                              Cheers,

                              Carol

                            • Mars
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 9 6:45 AM
                                A quick footnote on this info:
                                This doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone on the list, as we are not all in Europe, nor are we all of European descent.

                                I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

                                Cheers,

                                Carol

                                On 9 April 2011 00:49, Linda <msulab@...> wrote:

                                Alan,

                                Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

                                The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

                                The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

                                I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

                                Take care,

                                Linda

                                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

                                > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
                                > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
                                > Regards,
                                > Alan

                              • Ray Forsberg
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 9 11:23 PM
                                  Hi,

                                  This is of course absolutely true;  however, the "H" haplogroup is found extensively in North Africa and amongst the Tuareg as well, so trying to prove ethnicity is always a difficult one.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Carol

                                  From: Ray Forsberg <forsbergray@...>Sent: Fri, April 8, 2011 10:19:54 PM

                                  Hi Linda,

                                  I am also in the "H" haplogroup - another daugher of Helena!  I was born in England of totally English and Irish stock;  the H haplogroup is the most common in Europe (about 47% of all Europeans are H);  the book "The Seven Daughers of Eve" by Bryan Sykes explains it very well.  He also makes the point that it is pointless trying to determine ethnicity through mitochondrial DNA in that we are a completely mixed bag;  there are seven main groups in Europe, but you will still find other groups popping up unexpectly all over the place.  The only way in which it may help is if you get an exact match to someone who has a good paper trail which points back to a particular ethnic group, and even then the common ancestor may be many generations ago.

                                  Cheers,

                                  Carol

                                  On 9 April 2011 00:49, Linda <msulab@...> wrote:

                                  Alan,

                                  Yes, I did see your pictures and they are great. They really capture the essence of St. Helena during that time period. I keep visualizing my relatives walking down some of those same streets in the photos.

                                  The DNA test I took was one that was offered by Genealogy.Com. It was a simple cheek swab test and basically gives back general information on where your ancestors (those from thousands of years ago) are from. My maternal mitochondrial DNA test came back showing my ancestors were probably from India )East Asia. I am part of the Haplogroup H - the Colonist. I thought this was strange since all we knew about my mother's grandmother was that she was from England. Now that I find out that she really was (I think)from St. Helena, it starts to make more sense.

                                  The test you took seems to be one that actually determines racial makeup. I have a friend who took that test and he actually was asked to appear on US TV since his results were not at all comparable to the race in which he was raised. I remember that this test is very expensive but was wondering if the price has decreased.

                                  I am still waiting to hear from the St. Helena Registrar to see if they have found any birth certificates or records.

                                  Take care,

                                  Linda

                                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A. Russ" <aruss11@...> wrote:

                                  > I would like to know about this test. I am intrigued.
                                  > Linda, What did the swab test tell you? My grandmother was a native of St Helena. Have you seen my pictures?
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Alan

                                • Linda
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 10 6:34 AM
                                    Greetings!

                                    I believe that the blood test and the swab test are really very different. The blood test appears to give an idea of racial mix. The swab test, I just discovered does consist of two different tests.

                                    Check out this website that describes the two types of test. One will test for lineage and other will test for bio-geographic ancestry.

                                    I had a swab test but it was the "cheaper" one that only tested lineage origins. I bought my test from Ancestry.com.

                                    Linda
                                    (Looking for Hopkins, Hercules, and Cooley Families)

                                    http://www.ancestrybydna.com/ancestry-by-dna.php

                                  • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 10 11:00 AM
                                      Hi,

                                      The DNA in your cheek swab cells and your blood cells is identical. The commercial tests which use these different methods may well look for and provide different DNA information. Shop around but the cheek swab test is less painful and equally accurate as the blood test.

                                      Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

                                      From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
                                      Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                      Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:34:14 -0000