Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Purslaw/Purslain Beds [1 Attachment]

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
      Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
      relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
      when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
      Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
      Caroline

      On 5/04/2011 9:26 AM, John Coyle wrote:
      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from John Coyle included below]
      >
      > Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena
      > for a place named
      > "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line
      > checking, and it seems
      > that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the

    • Caroline Gaden
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
        Hello All
        Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
        images of some documents in the library at the University of
        Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
        an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
        I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
        unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
        who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
        Any suggestions gratefully received
        Many thanks
        Caroline
      • knipehumphry
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
          Hi Caroline

          Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
          Humphry