RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Friends of St. Helena

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

      Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

      More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

      Best wishes

      Colin

      Date: Monday, April 04, 2011 2:55:31 pm
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: "Linda" <msulab@...>
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Friends of St. Helena

      Greetings!

      It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

      I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

      Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

      By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

      Thanks again!

      Linda Mehlinger
      Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

      > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
      >
      > Rega

    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
      • 1 Attachment
      • 8 KB
      Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
      "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
      that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
      refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
      Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
      <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
      l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
      7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
      Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
      =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

      Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
      the top of Sugar Loaf.

      HTH

      John Coyle
      Brisbane, Australia

      Message 3 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
        Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
        relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
        when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
        Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
        Caroline

        On 5/04/2011 9:26 AM, John Coyle wrote:
        > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from John Coyle included below]
        >
        > Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena
        > for a place named
        > "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line
        > checking, and it seems
        > that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the

      • Caroline Gaden
        Message 4 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
          Hello All
          Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
          images of some documents in the library at the University of
          Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
          an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
          I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
          unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
          who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
          Any suggestions gratefully received
          Many thanks
          Caroline
        • knipehumphry
          Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4 10:40 AM
            Hi Caroline

            Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
            Humphry