RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Friends of St. Helena

  • carolyncw50@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
      The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

      Carolyn
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

        Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

        More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

        Best wishes

        Colin

        The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

        Carolyn
        It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

        I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

        Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

        By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

        Thanks again!

        Linda Mehlinger
        Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

        > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
        >
        > Rega

      • John Coyle
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
        Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
        "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
        that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
        refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
        Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
        <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
        l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
        7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
        Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
        =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

        Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
        the top of Sugar Loaf.

        HTH

        John Coyle
        Brisbane, Australia

        Message 4 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
          Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
          relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
          when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
          Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
          Caroline

          On 5/04/2011 9:26 AM, John Coyle wrote:
          > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from John Coyle included below]
          >
          > Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena
          > for a place named
          > "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line
          > checking, and it seems
          > that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the

        • Caroline Gaden
          Message 5 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
            Hello All
            Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
            images of some documents in the library at the University of
            Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
            an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
            I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
            unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
            who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
            Any suggestions gratefully received
            Many thanks
            Caroline
          • knipehumphry
            Message 6 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
              Hi Caroline

              Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
              Humphry