Purslaw/Purslain Beds

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011
      Hello All
      I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
      Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
      anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
      may be and where it is located on the Island.
      Many thanks
      Caroline
    • Linda
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2011
        Greetings!

        It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

        I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

        Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

        By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

        Thanks again!

        Linda Mehlinger
        Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

      • carolyncw50@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
          The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

          Carolyn
          It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

          I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

          Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

          By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

          Thanks again!

          Linda Mehlinger
          Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

          > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
          >
          > Rega
        • foxhome
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

            Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

            More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

            Best wishes

            Colin

            The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

            Carolyn
            It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

            I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

            Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

            By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

            Thanks again!

            Linda Mehlinger
            Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

            > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
            >
            > Rega

          • John Coyle
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
            • 1 Attachment
            • 8 KB
            Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
            "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
            that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
            refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
            Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
            <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
            l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
            7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
            Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
            =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

            Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
            the top of Sugar Loaf.

            HTH

            John Coyle
            Brisbane, Australia

            Message 6 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
              Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
              relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
              when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
              Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
              Caroline

              Message 7 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                Hello All
                Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                images of some documents in the library at the University of
                Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                Any suggestions gratefully received
                Many thanks
                Caroline
              • knipehumphry
                Message 8 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
                  Hi Caroline

                  Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
                  Humphry