Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

  • Leonard Meek
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 2 10:41 AM

      Thanks, Colin. I'll send a check as soon as I can get to a bank.

      Leonard

      From: A.H.Schulenburg <ahs@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 8:57 PM

      Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.

      Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English.  In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.

      Best regards,

      Alexander

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 2 9:35 PM
        Hello All
        I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
        Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
        anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
        may be and where it is located on the Island.
        Many thanks
        Caroline
      • Linda
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 3 12:30 PM
          Greetings!

          It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

          I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

          Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

          By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

          Thanks again!

          Linda Mehlinger
          Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

        • carolyncw50@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 4 12:00 PM
            The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

            Carolyn
            It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

            I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

            Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

            By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

            Thanks again!

            Linda Mehlinger
            Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

            > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
            >
            > Rega
          • foxhome
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 4 2:46 PM

              Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

              More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

              Best wishes

              Colin

              The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

              Carolyn
              It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

              I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

              Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

              By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

              Thanks again!

              Linda Mehlinger
              Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

              > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
              >
              > Rega

            • John Coyle
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 4 4:26 PM
              • 8 KB
              Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
              "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
              that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
              refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
              Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
              <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
              l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
              7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
              Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
              =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

              Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
              the top of Sugar Loaf.

              HTH

              John Coyle
              Brisbane, Australia

              Message 7 of 19 , Apr 5 12:56 AM
                Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
                relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
                when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
                Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
                Caroline

                On 5/04/2011 9:26 AM, John Coyle wrote:
                > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from John Coyle included below]
                >
                > Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena
                > for a place named
                > "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line
                > checking, and it seems
                > that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the

              • Caroline Gaden
                Message 8 of 19 , Apr 5 6:42 PM
                  Hello All
                  Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                  images of some documents in the library at the University of
                  Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                  an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                  I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                  unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                  who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                  Any suggestions gratefully received
                  Many thanks
                  Caroline