RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

  • foxhome
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

      Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.

      Regards

      Colin

      From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leonard Meek
      Sent: 01 April 2011 18:09
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

      I would still like to know how I can join the Friends of St. Helena. I know there's a fee, but what form of payment is acceptable?

      Leonard Meek

      From: A.H.Schulenburg <ahs@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 8:57 PM

      Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.

      Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English.  In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.

      Best regards,

      Alexander

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

        Thanks, Colin. I'll send a check as soon as I can get to a bank.

        Leonard

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011
          Hello All
          I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
          Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
          anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
          may be and where it is located on the Island.
          Many thanks
          Caroline
        • Linda
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2011
            Greetings!

            It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

            I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

            Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

            By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

            Thanks again!

            Linda Mehlinger
            Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

          • carolyncw50@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
              The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

              Carolyn
              It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

              I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

              Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

              By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

              Thanks again!

              Linda Mehlinger
              Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

              --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

              > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
              >
              > Rega
            • foxhome
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

                Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

                More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

                Best wishes

                Colin

                The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                Carolyn
                It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                Thanks again!

                Linda Mehlinger
                Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                >
                > Rega

              • John Coyle
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                • 1 Attachment
                • 8 KB
                Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
                "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
                that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
                refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
                Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
                <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
                l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
                7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
                Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
                =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

                Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
                the top of Sugar Loaf.

                HTH

                John Coyle
                Brisbane, Australia

                Message 8 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
                  relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
                  when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
                  Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
                  Caroline

                  Message 9 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Hello All
                    Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                    images of some documents in the library at the University of
                    Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                    an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                    I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                    unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                    who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                    Any suggestions gratefully received
                    Many thanks
                    Caroline
                  • knipehumphry
                    Message 10 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
                      Hi Caroline

                      Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
                      Humphry