Union Brewery

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hello All
      I am seeking information about the Union Brewery which I think started
      on St Helena in the early 1800s. Any help, pointers, references etc
      would be wonderful
      Many thanks
      Caroline
    • foxhome
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

        Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.

        Regards

        Colin

        From: A.H.Schulenburg <ahs@...>
        To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 8:57 PM

        Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.

        Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English.  In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.

        Best regards,

        Alexander

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

          Thanks, Colin. I'll send a check as soon as I can get to a bank.

          Leonard

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011
            Hello All
            I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
            Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
            anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
            may be and where it is located on the Island.
            Many thanks
            Caroline
          • Linda
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2011
              Greetings!

              It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

              I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

              Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

              By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

              Thanks again!

              Linda Mehlinger
              Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

            • carolyncw50@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                Carolyn
                It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                Thanks again!

                Linda Mehlinger
                Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                >
                > Rega
              • foxhome
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

                  Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

                  More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

                  Best wishes

                  Colin

                  The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                  Carolyn
                  It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                  I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                  Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                  By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                  Thanks again!

                  Linda Mehlinger
                  Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                  > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                  >
                  > Rega

                • John Coyle
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                  • 1 Attachment
                  • 8 KB
                  Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
                  "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
                  that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
                  refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
                  Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
                  <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
                  l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
                  7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
                  Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
                  =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

                  Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
                  the top of Sugar Loaf.

                  HTH

                  John Coyle
                  Brisbane, Australia

                  Message 9 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
                    relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
                    when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
                    Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
                    Caroline

                    Message 10 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Hello All
                      Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                      images of some documents in the library at the University of
                      Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                      an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                      I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                      unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                      who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                      Any suggestions gratefully received
                      Many thanks
                      Caroline
                    • knipehumphry
                      Message 11 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
                        Hi Caroline

                        Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
                        Humphry