Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

  • Leonard Meek
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011

      I would still like to know how I can join the Friends of St. Helena. I know there's a fee, but what form of payment is acceptable?

      Leonard Meek

      From: A.H.Schulenburg <ahs@...>
      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, March 28, 2011, 8:57 PM

      Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.

      Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English.  In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.

      Best regards,

      Alexander

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hello All
        I am seeking information about the Union Brewery which I think started
        on St Helena in the early 1800s. Any help, pointers, references etc
        would be wonderful
        Many thanks
        Caroline
      • foxhome
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

          Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.

          Regards

          Colin

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

            Thanks, Colin. I'll send a check as soon as I can get to a bank.

            Leonard

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011
              Hello All
              I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
              Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
              anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
              may be and where it is located on the Island.
              Many thanks
              Caroline
            • Linda
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2011
                Greetings!

                It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                Thanks again!

                Linda Mehlinger
                Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

              • carolyncw50@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                  The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                  Carolyn
                  It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                  I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                  Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                  By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                  Thanks again!

                  Linda Mehlinger
                  Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                  > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                  >
                  > Rega
                • foxhome
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

                    Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

                    More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

                    Best wishes

                    Colin

                    The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                    Carolyn
                    It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                    I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                    Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                    By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                    Thanks again!

                    Linda Mehlinger
                    Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                    --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                    > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                    >
                    > Rega

                  • John Coyle
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                    • 1 Attachment
                    • 8 KB
                    Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
                    "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
                    that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
                    refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
                    Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
                    <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
                    l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
                    7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
                    Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
                    =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

                    Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
                    the top of Sugar Loaf.

                    HTH

                    John Coyle
                    Brisbane, Australia

                    Message 10 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                      Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
                      relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
                      when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
                      Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
                      Caroline

                      Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Hello All
                        Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                        images of some documents in the library at the University of
                        Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                        an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                        I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                        unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                        who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                        Any suggestions gratefully received
                        Many thanks
                        Caroline
                      • knipehumphry
                        Message 12 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
                          Hi Caroline

                          Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
                          Humphry