RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Catherine Clingen, William Ridge and Fanny Thomas

  • Marian Press
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2011

      John: Oh dear! This is quite a posting – to hear concrete news about one’s ancestors owning slaves, although I know they did on Saint Helena.

      I can certainly give you information on Thomas Greentree (although there was more than one and we will need to work out which one we are talking about exactly). None of the Thomases were my direct ancestor, but whichever he was he was a close relative of my ancestor, Margaret Greentree.

      Can you email me off list at marian.press@... and I can send you information.

      Marian

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hi Frank,
        Thank you very much for the charts which arrived today. It will take me a while to study them all.
        If William Ridge served as a sergeant in the St. Helena Artillery (as evidenced by the record of his marriage to Frances Thomas) there are presumably records somewhere of his enlistment and his career. Similarly there should be records of William Clingen's service in the St. Helena regiment. Would these be in the East India Company archives? Have they been indexed? Are any of them searchable online? (I expect not, otherwise you would probably have looked already.)
        I was interested to see that your grandparents were Robert Gregory, son of Henrietta Devlin, and Ellen Connor, daughter of Richard Connor. Janet's grandmother was Mary Ann Elizabeth McDermott, daughter of Alice Devlin and hence Robert Gregory's cousin, and her grandfather was Richard Connor, brother of Ellen.

      • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi Andrew,

          I don't know about the military records but you are right - there is likely material in there to analyse.

          Good luck with your study!

          Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

          From: "ajb500" <ajb500@...>
          Sender: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 20:51:35 -0000
          To: <st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] William Ridge and William Clingen in the St. Helena Artillery

          Hi Frank,
          Thank you very much for the charts which arrived today. It will take me a while to study them all.
          If William Ridge served as a sergeant in the St. Helena Artillery (as evidenced by the record of his marriage to Frances Thomas) there are presumably records somewhere of his enlistment and his career. Similarly there should be records of William Clingen's service in the St. Helena regiment. Would these be in the East India Company archives? Have they been indexed? Are any of them searchable online? (I expect not, otherwise you would probably have looked already.)
          I was interested to see that your grandparents were Robert Gregory, son of Henrietta Devlin, and Ellen Connor, daughter of Richard Connor. Janet's grandmother was Mary Ann Elizabeth McDermott, daughter of Alice Devlin and hence Robert Gregory's cousin, and her grandfather was Richard Connor, brother of Ellen.
          Regards,
          Andrew

          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Frank Craig <frankfcraig@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andrew,
          >
          > Yes, I have dug into that area. Fanny was likely of Asian origin. The slaves on
          > the island were either African, Indian or from Madagascar ( a hotch-potch of
          > Africans, Asians and Indians, sailors and traders. I can say that she is likely
          > Indian/East Asian (and not African) as I had a DNA genealogy blood test done and
          > I was 85% European and 15% East Asian with 0% African.
          >
          > I have included all of this in the FamilyTreeMaker chart which I will print off
          > and post today.
          > Regards
          >

          > Frank F Craig

        • foxhome
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2011

            Andrew, You can find the muster rolls for the St Helena infantry and artillery in the British Library  Asia, Pacific and African collection (3rd floor)

            The indexes are on line at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=059-iorlmil_8-1&cid=1-1-1#1-1-1

            Or search on ‘St Helena muster rolls’  on the National Archives web site http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/ and click on

            St Helena Records IOR/L/MIL/13

            The volumes handwritten are about 3 ins thick. There is a return for each battalion every quarter year 1789 to 1859

            You can track the career of your ancestor from when he arrived at the island until his discharge. If he received a pension he may be appear in other volumes. The staff at the library are very helpful and will give you lots of help if you ask. If you phone before hand you may be able to order volumes to be ready when you arrive (first time readers will need to get a pass – a quick and easy process). If you order them when you get there it will take 70mins for the items to arrive.

            Try and avoid busy times – Sat mornings, bank hols etc.

            Hope this helps

            Colin

            Thank you very much for the charts which arrived today. It will take me a while to study them all.
            If William Ridge served as a sergeant in the St. Helena Artillery (as evidenced by the record of his marriage to Frances Thomas) there are presumably records somewhere of his enlistment and his career. Similarly there should be records of William Clingen's service in the St. Helena regiment. Would these be in the East India Company archives? Have they been indexed? Are any of them searchable online? (I expect not, otherwise you would probably have looked already.)
            I was interested to see that your grandparents were Robert Gregory, son of Henrietta Devlin, and Ellen Connor, daughter of Richard Connor. Janet's grandmother was Mary Ann Elizabeth McDermott, daughter of Alice Devlin and hence Robert Gregory's cousin, and her grandfather was Richard Connor, brother of Ellen.
            Regards,
            Andrew

            --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Frank Craig <frankfcraig@...> wrote:

            > Hi Andrew,
            >
            > Yes, I have dug into that area. Fanny was likely of Asian origin. The slaves on
            > the island were either African, Indian or from Madagascar ( a hotch-potch of
            > Africans, Asians and Indians, sailors and traders. I can say that she is likely
            > Indian/East Asian (and not African) as I had a DNA genealogy blood test done and
            > I was 85% European and 15% East Asian with 0% African.
            >
            > I have included all of this in the FamilyTreeMaker chart which I will print off
            > and post today.
            > Regards
            >

            > Frank F Craig

          • ajb500
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 4, 2011
              Colin,
              Thank you for the information about the Muster Rolls. I will have to visit the British Library one day to search for William Ridge's and William Clingen's military records.
              Andrew