Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

  • mandleberry
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 29, 2011
      Thank you for that information, Alexander. I have emailed you separately, as I didn't realise initially that I could reply to the thread this way!
      Best wishes,
      Amanda

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A.H.Schulenburg" <ahs@...> wrote:

      > Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.
      >
      > Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English. In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Alexander

    • Colin
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011

        Crystal, I have transposed a list of 890 slaves who were valued for emancipation in 1827 and another list compiled in 1840 of ex slaves who still owed some of the money they were loaned to purchase their freedom.

        This will soon hopefully be available on line on the website set up for the Friends of St Helena (FOSH). It will be in a members only area available using a password. It is setting up this access and working out how to provide the information that is taking some time by the web master and myself. The intent is to provide a list of names but only allow access to other information (slave owner, age, valuation, occupation and in some cases comments on the slave’s character) to members.

        For the present I am willing to let people know if a particular name or family is on the database but since I undertook this considerable amount of work to increase the Friends membership, I will only provide the additional information to members.

        Regards

        Colin

        Is there a list / record of freed slaves born on St Helena that I can access online?

        Kind regards,

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011

          I would still like to know how I can join the Friends of St. Helena. I know there's a fee, but what form of payment is acceptable?

          Leonard Meek

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2011
            Hello All
            I am seeking information about the Union Brewery which I think started
            on St Helena in the early 1800s. Any help, pointers, references etc
            would be wonderful
            Many thanks
            Caroline
          • foxhome
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

              Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.

              Regards

              Colin

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011

                Thanks, Colin. I'll send a check as soon as I can get to a bank.

                Leonard

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2011
                  Hello All
                  I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
                  Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
                  anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
                  may be and where it is located on the Island.
                  Many thanks
                  Caroline
                • Linda
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2011
                    Greetings!

                    It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                    I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                    Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                    By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                    Thanks again!

                    Linda Mehlinger
                    Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                  • carolyncw50@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                      The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                      Carolyn
                      It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                      I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                      Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                      By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                      Thanks again!

                      Linda Mehlinger
                      Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                      > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                      >
                      > Rega
                    • foxhome
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011

                        Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

                        More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

                        Best wishes

                        Colin

                        The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                        Carolyn
                        It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                        I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                        Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                        By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                        Thanks again!

                        Linda Mehlinger
                        Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                        > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                        >
                        > Rega

                      • John Coyle
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4, 2011
                        • 1 Attachment
                        • 8 KB
                        Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
                        "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
                        that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
                        refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
                        Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
                        <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
                        l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
                        7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
                        Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
                        =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

                        Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
                        the top of Sugar Loaf.

                        HTH

                        John Coyle
                        Brisbane, Australia

                        Message 12 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                          Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
                          relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
                          when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
                          Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
                          Caroline

                          Message 13 of 20 , Apr 5, 2011
                            Hello All
                            Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                            images of some documents in the library at the University of
                            Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                            an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                            I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                            unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                            who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                            Any suggestions gratefully received
                            Many thanks
                            Caroline
                          • knipehumphry
                            Message 14 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
                              Hi Caroline

                              Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
                              Humphry