Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Ethnic origins of freed slave born in St Helena

  • mandleberry
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 29, 2011
      Dear Barry

      Thank you for your reply. My information came from the St James baptismal record 1630 - 1807: 8th August 1975: "Sophia, daughter to Capt Bazett's Susan, by a soldier".
      Information given to me by a relative is that Susan was enslaved to Captain Thomas Bazett. He and his wife Mary had a daughter, Sarah, who married a William Knipe. It seems that upon her marrige she may have taken Sophia with her, or Sophia mey have been left to her (Sarah) upon the death of Mary Bazett in 1805.
      This is all the information I have on the Bazetts. I hope it is useful to you, and would be fascinated to hear about the Bazetts from your point of view.
      Best wishes

      Amanda

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, barryperrins@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am decended from the Bazetts of st Helena. I read your interesting email.
      > I have a lot of infomaton on the bazett family from thier beginings on the Island in 1684. I have no records of Bazetts on the island in the 1800's even though I know some to still lived there
      > . As such I've never heard of the Bazett you mention.
      > It would be great for me if you could let me know the source of your info or any more Bazett details.
      > Cheers,
      > Barry.

    • mandleberry
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 29, 2011
        Thank you for that information, Alexander. I have emailed you separately, as I didn't realise initially that I could reply to the thread this way!
        Best wishes,
        Amanda

        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "A.H.Schulenburg" <ahs@...> wrote:

        > Unless you find an incidental reference to someone's place of origin in the records, or deduce their origin from a geographically based second name, you won't be able to discover a slave's ethnic origin.
        >
        > Also, as the importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, Susan, Sophia and Ann were most likely all born on St Helena and may have spoken no language other than English. In any case, both Susan and Sophia were already of mixed parentage.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Alexander

      • Colin
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1 4:24 AM

          Crystal, I have transposed a list of 890 slaves who were valued for emancipation in 1827 and another list compiled in 1840 of ex slaves who still owed some of the money they were loaned to purchase their freedom.

          This will soon hopefully be available on line on the website set up for the Friends of St Helena (FOSH). It will be in a members only area available using a password. It is setting up this access and working out how to provide the information that is taking some time by the web master and myself. The intent is to provide a list of names but only allow access to other information (slave owner, age, valuation, occupation and in some cases comments on the slave’s character) to members.

          For the present I am willing to let people know if a particular name or family is on the database but since I undertook this considerable amount of work to increase the Friends membership, I will only provide the additional information to members.

          Regards

          Colin

          Is there a list / record of freed slaves born on St Helena that I can access online?

          Kind regards,

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1 10:09 AM

            I would still like to know how I can join the Friends of St. Helena. I know there's a fee, but what form of payment is acceptable?

            Leonard Meek

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1 10:26 PM
              Hello All
              I am seeking information about the Union Brewery which I think started
              on St Helena in the early 1800s. Any help, pointers, references etc
              would be wonderful
              Many thanks
              Caroline
            • foxhome
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 2 4:39 AM

                Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.

                Regards

                Colin

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2 10:41 AM

                  Thanks, Colin. I'll send a check as soon as I can get to a bank.

                  Leonard

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2 9:35 PM
                    Hello All
                    I am trying to find the location of what looks like Purslaw/Purslain
                    Beds named as part of a handwritten lease in the early 1800s. Does
                    anyone have an idea what the correct name may be, what its modern name
                    may be and where it is located on the Island.
                    Many thanks
                    Caroline
                  • Linda
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 12:30 PM
                      Greetings!

                      It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                      I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                      Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                      By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                      Thanks again!

                      Linda Mehlinger
                      Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                    • carolyncw50@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4 12:00 PM
                        The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                        Carolyn
                        It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                        I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                        Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                        By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                        Thanks again!

                        Linda Mehlinger
                        Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                        > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                        >
                        > Rega
                      • foxhome
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4 2:46 PM

                          Membership queries for the Friends of St Helena should be addressed to the membership secretary Ian Bruce at shirebooks@... We do have an overseas membership. FYI the annual membership fee is likely to go up after the AGM on 21st May 2011.

                          More info on membership please visit our website at www.fosh.org,uk

                          Best wishes

                          Colin

                          The cost is about $25.00. I am also in the US. I will join when I visit my relatives in UK later this year.

                          Carolyn
                          It is great to see the increase in activity on this list!!!!

                          I would like to join the Friends of St. Helena as well, but would like to know more about the adavnatages of the membership. What does membership entitle you to receive or to see on the website?

                          Even thought the US Census shows that my g-grandmother was from St. Helena, I am still waiting for actual proof. Thanks to folks on this site, I was able to write (email) the Registra of St. Helena and I am waiting for an answer as to finding birth/marriage/emigration records for the 1840-1870 timeframe.

                          By the way, what is the cost of membership in US currency? I checked the site, but was unsure if they will take a US credit card.

                          Thanks again!

                          Linda Mehlinger
                          Searching for Cooley/Hopkins/Hercules elatives in St. Helena and Durban

                          --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "foxhome" <colin@...> wrote:

                          > Leonard, If you go to www.fosh.org.uk/membership.html you will find details of how to join the society.
                          >
                          > Rega

                        • John Coyle
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4 4:26 PM
                          • 1 Attachment
                          • 8 KB
                          Hi Caroline: I've spent a little time checking an 1850 map of St. Helena for a place named
                          "Purslain/Purslaw Beds" with no success, then did a little on-line checking, and it seems
                          that Purslain (various spellings) is a plant, so is it possible that the lease merely
                          refers to the right to exploit a crop in the area of the lease?
                          Interestingly, Sea Purslain (see
                          <http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/images/plants/ful
                          l/starr-010206-0247.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hear.org/starr/images/image/%3Fq%3D010206-024
                          7%26o%3Dplants&h=1200&w=1600&sz=775&tbnid=40Bks7rw7I3QjM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3
                          Fq%3Dsea%2Bpurslane&zoom=1&q=sea+purslane&hl=en&usg=__35FmXNpUZc-ysETuY2DYkoMGJ9k=&sa=X&ei
                          =1VKaTcmrB4yiuQOO14H2Cw&ved=0CEkQ9QEwBw>

                          Is very similar to a plant I recall seeing around Longwood on one occasion, probably near
                          the top of Sugar Loaf.

                          HTH

                          John Coyle
                          Brisbane, Australia

                          Message 13 of 20 , Apr 5 12:56 AM
                            Thank you John for your suggestion, I think you are right, the name
                            relates to a plant which can be eaten, no doubt of extra use to harvest
                            when the island was suddenly swamped with soldiers when NB arrived....
                            Many thanks for your input, appreciate it
                            Caroline

                            Message 14 of 20 , Apr 5 6:42 PM
                              Hello All
                              Does anyone know of a person I could ask to photocopy or take digital
                              images of some documents in the library at the University of
                              Witwatersrand, Johannesburg and then send them to me. I am happy to pay
                              an appropriate rate per item or on a time basis.
                              I have been in contact with the librarian and she advises the staff are
                              unable to do it ... I thought it may be suitable for a reliable student
                              who wants to earn a bit of extra cash.
                              Any suggestions gratefully received
                              Many thanks
                              Caroline
                            • knipehumphry
                              Message 15 of 20 , Sep 4, 2014
                                Hi Caroline

                                Did you get anywhere with this query? The only information I have is from Kitching which I'm sure you're familiar with. Let me know if you're not! I would be most interested in anything else you've come up with regarding Balcombe et al.
                                Humphry