Baumann family and Napoleon

  • astrogirl200
    Message 1 of 3 , May 14 9:39 AM
      Hi,

      I am researching my Baumann ancestors who accompanied Napoleon to St.
      Helena. I am told that some descendents of this family still live on
      the island. The family came from Alsace, France, and some moved with
      Napoleon to Kassel, Germany. I have been told that when Napoleon
      died, the Baumann family's dining room table was used to make his
      coffin. I have also heard that my relative, Penelope Bright Bond, or
      perhaps her mother, Elfie Baumann Bright, was in contact with some
      relatives on St. Helena. If anyone knows anything about members of
      this family on St. Helena, please contact me. I have much information
      to share about other branches of the family.

      Amanda Katz Jermyn
    • colinfoxhome
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15 1:43 PM
        --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "astrogirl200"
        <astrogirl200@y...> wrote:

        Amanda, I was interestd to hear of your story of the family table
        being used for Napoleon's coffin as I also have this story in my
        family. I am descended from Capt James Bennett who was in the East
        India Company Service during Napoleon's exile. He lived at Chubb's
        Spring from 1814 when he arrived on the island to 1826 when he
        purchased Maldivia, the adjoining estate, which then belonged to Col
        Hodson. James Bennett died in 1835 but the house remained in the
        family until 1890.
        The Pritchard family (who lived at Cambrian House) also claim to have
        had their dining room table used for Napoleon's coffin. There is a
        link between these families as David Kay Pritchard was married to
        Martha Hodson, Col Hodson's sister, and their daughter Dorothy
        married James Bennett's son, George. There seems to be a tie up
        somewhere. Do any of these names appear in your family tree?

        The St Helena Who's Who which records , amongst other things, a list
        of all Napoleon's staff at Longwood and all the main families on the
        island including all the officers of the garrison (British Army and
        East India Company) has no mention at all of a Baumann. Do you know
        in what capacity your ancestor came to the island? I have certainly
        never come across the name before in my researches. The closest is
        Balmain, the Russian representative.

        Regards

        Colin Fox

        Hi,

        > I am researching my Baumann ancestors who accompanied Napoleon to
        St.
        > Helena. I am told that some descendents of this family still live
        on
        > the island. The family came from Alsace, France, and some moved
        with
        > Napoleon to Kassel, Germany. I have been told that when Napoleon
        > died, the Baumann family's dining room table was used to make his
        > coffin. I have also heard that my relative, Penelope Bright Bond,
        or
        > perhaps her mother, Elfie Baumann Bright, was in contact with some
        > relatives on St. Helena. If anyone knows anything about members of
        > this family on St. Helena, please contact me. I have much
        information
        > to share about other branches of the family.
        >
        > Amanda Katz Jermyn
      • Amanda Jermyn
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16 1:12 PM
          Dear Colin,

          I find it so fascinating that you have the same story in your family! There are Pritchards on my family tree, related to my Baumann ancestors by marriage, so it is possible that the story comes from them. Reginald van Breda Pritchard married Josephine Leviseur, daughter of Sophie Baumann and Moritz Leviseur. The Leviseur and Baumann families lived in Bloemfontein, South Africa, and came before that from Kassel, Germany. Both families had moved with Napoleon's armies from Alsace, France to Kassel prior to that. Reginald and Josephine Pritchard had two children, Betty and Anthony. I have no information about their descendents. However, I'm going to ask my cousin, James Bond, about this because I think he told me once that his mother had a good friend or relative called Betty Pritchard. Josephine Leviseur was born in 1885, probably in Bloemfontein. It is possible that her husband, Reginald Pritchard came from St. Helena. I have no information about him but am copying this email to various Baumann relatives in the hope that someone knows more than I do about this branch of the family. It is such a unique story that I feel there has to be some connection!

          Thanks also for letting me know that you found no references to any Baumanns in the Who's Who of St. Helena and other island references. I don't know in what capacity our ancestors served. My cousins Laurie and James Bond told me only that they accompanied Napoleon, as well as the story of the family dining room table being commandeered for Napoleon's coffin because of a shortage of suitable wood on the island.

          With kind regards,

          Amanda

          <astrogirl200@y...> wrote:

[...]

          Do you Yahoo!?