Catherine Clingan: Correction

  • Frank Craig
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2011
      Hi Andrew,

      I re-checked my records. You are right. She was a minor when married.

      From the following records, her birth date is cited differently:

      1881 Census: Aged 40. Thus born 1840 or 1841. Date of census 3 or 4 April.
      1891 Census: Aged 52. Thus born 1838 or 1839. Date of census 5 or 6 April
      1901 Census. Aged 62. Thus born 1838 or 1839. Date of census: 31 March or 1 April.
      1912 Death Certificate: (21/04/1912). Aged 71. Thus born, 1840 or 1841.

      She was married in 2nd of August 1856 so was between 15-18. "A minor" does not mean under 16 but under 21 thus they were both "minors" who would require consent of both parents. Thus, both Catherine and Henry were under 21.

      "The age at which a person could marry and at which they would require consent has changed since 1837. Then marriage could be at 12 for a girl and 14 for a boy, but consent of parent(s) was required for both up to the age of 21. In 1926 the age of marriage for both parties was raised to 16 but consent for both was still required until 21. Now, the age at which people can marry is still 16 but the age for consent has been lowered to 18

      Notice, that in the marriage certificate transcript the name Clingham is used and not Clinning. There are apparently some Clinghams on Santa Helena today.

      Frank