Cooley, Hopkins, Hercules Family

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15 7:07 AM
      Greetings!

      After years of searching for my family, I finally found a break and believe that
      they originated in St. Helena. I would appreciate any information on the
      following people:

      Elizabeth Hopkins - Born either 1857 or 1864

      Francis Ellen Coley - Born 1840

      Charlotte Hopkins Hercules - Born about 1900 - Lived in Durban, South Africa

      Here is how the family story unfolds. Elizabeth Hopkins, my g-grandmother was
      taken from St. Helena (1860-1870) to New Orleans, Louisiana by Francis Ellen
      Cooley who apparently was not her mother.There may have been a stop in New
      York. I am not sure. Family lore has it that Elizabeth's real mother was named
      Annie. The Louisiana 1870 census has both Francis (now called Fannie) living in
      New Orleans. Elizabeth always told her children stories of coming over on a ship
      with Fannie. Elizabeth claimed that her real father came to New Orleans to take
      her back. According to her, he eventually settled in either Rhode Island or
      Connecticut.

      Years later in 1946, a Charlotte Hopkins Hercules writes to the New Orleans
      Picayune paper trying to find her long lost cousin, Elizabeth. In Charlotte's
      newspaper add, she listed my g=grandmother as "nee Edith Hopkins". In 1946,
      Charlotte made a trip to New Orleans and stayed for a few months and then went
      back to Durban. My mother remembers the visit but no one ever asked Charlotte
      about the history of the family.

      I would also like to find records of Charlotte's visit to the US. What ship she
      took? I can't find her name on any of the passenger lists. An elderly relative
      remembers going to pick up Charlotte, but she can't remember if she picked her
      up from a train station in New Orleans or from the Port of New Orleans. Other
      questions are why she had to wire money to New Orleans before her visit to the
      states?

      If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I have been working
      on this for years now and would greatly appreciate any help.

      Linda Broussard Mehlinger
    • Lisa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
        Hi Linda,

        I'm not sure how far you got with your research – but here is some information I found whilst investigating my `Hopkins' family on St Helena.

        It's not too detailed, as the last time I was on St Helena it was only for a short holiday, so I only had time to look up the full records of a few relatives. I was only allowed to view the index books at the Archives and then had to view the full records on microfiche in the Public Library, which is a bit time consuming, so I only managed to view a few full records. I kept the record numbers (which is the page number in the actual Archive records) for the others. It's not much, but might be a place to start!

        I found a few records for Elizabeth Hopkins as follows:
        - `Baptisms records 1849-1862' (it doesn't say which parish this is from). Record/page number 1533.

        - There is another record for Elizabeth Hopkins ........ but she was born Elizabeth Benjamin and became Hopkins by marriage.
        Details from `Marriage records 1871-1882 - Baptist Chapel @ Knollcombes' (Record/page number 836):
        Marriage of William Hopkins and Elizabeth Benjamin.
        Date of marriage: 25 Dec 1871. William Hopkins is listed as 25, Bachelor, Occupation: Labourer. Elizabeth is listed as 28, Widow. By calculation, this would make her born in/around 1843, depending on when her birthday was. (I investigated this because I believe William Hopkins may be my gg-grandfather – but this is his first marriage and my gg-grandmother was his second wife, Catherine Elizabeth Hopkins (nee Moyce)).

        I found a marriage record for Charlotte A Hopkins and Ernest Thomas Hercules.
        The record number 1921 from the `Marriage records 1882-1943' – again that's all the details I have.

        I didn't research any Cooley's – although I did find a marriage between James Hopkins and a Mary Coley.
        The record number 271 from the `Marriage records 1852-1864' – again that's all the details I have – but this might be the Hopkins-Coley/Cooley connection linking your g-grandmother ..... although the spelling is different – so maybe not???

        Oh, and there is also a record for an Edith Mira Hopkins:
        Baptisms records 1862-1912 (doesn't say which parish). Record/page number 18.

        I have all of this and details of other 'Hopkins' family in a spreadsheet which I would be happy to share with you if you think there might be something else of interest. Let me know!

        Lisa Hopkins