RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Johanna Painter

  • Christine Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2011

      Your query has me confounded, because I KNOW I've seen, come across, at least Rebecca Paynter in my St. Helena travels, but I have no record of her in my research database, not even a mention [did a full word search]. Glennis Snell's comprehensive work on the Knipe's of St. Helena trace Rebecca's lineage backwards several generations, but she does not show the marriage to Paynter nor any children. In my own research of the baptismal records, etc. - if there was no father listed, it generally meant the child was illegitimate [nothing is 100%  in genealogy as you know]. If the child's father became deceased during the pregnancy, he was normally listed in the baptismal record.
      If I come across whatever elusive reference I am thinking of, I will post the info.
      Christine

      To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      From: ronwale@...
      Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:10:07 +0000
      Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Johanna Painter

      Does anyone have any record of a JOHANNA PAINTER/PAYNTER, born St Helena on 25 November 1888?

      Her mother's name was Rebecca Paynter (nee Knipe), born 15 September 1861 and married to James Henry Paynter on 26 June 1880.

      James does NOT appear to be the father of Johanna as he had apparently left his family and had moved back to England at the time.

      The baptism register also only lists Rebecca Painter as the mother - no father listed.

      Regards,
      Ron Wale.