Re: Elizabeth Lufkin/John Young

  • duncow95
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2010
      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "famhistory41" <AVanMierlo@...> wrote:

      > Records says John Young came to St. Helena Island about 1720 as a poor solider to help Honorable Company Chastidy, he came from among the Valentine Refugees. He married Elizabeth Lufkin daughter of Stephen Lufkin. I am looking for some information on that Company and the Valentine Refugees. Anyone have some history information to share about that. After John Young died, about 1734, Elizabeth married a Brown.

      The extract is from the East India (Honorable Company) minutes proving his estate. The transcription is wrong it is Palatine refugee, from the area bordering France and Germany. I believe John Young was part of the approx 13000 Palatine refugees fleeing the French persecution to London from where he joined the EIC. The date would have also been 1710 not 1720. Please contact me if you are researching Lufkin or Young. Regards Michael Young (meyou001@...)