Re: Saul Solomon and Moss

  • sigridmcmahon
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2010
      Hi Rebecca,
      I've been trying to tie the Moss family together for ages, without much success but haven't worked on that line either for a while and need to reconnect. What I do know is that Hannah Moss (who married Joseph Solomon) had a sister Phoebe Moss born abt 1799 in London and died there in 1882. She married George Bagshaw in London in 1822. I will supply you off list with some details from another researcher.
      Regards,
      Sigi

      --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Grant" <barnesy0812@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sigi
      >
      > Just wondering if you know anything about the Moss family who are connected with the Solomon's from St Helena? My great great great grandfather was George Moss. I'm trying to find out who his parents were. Look forward to hearing from you.
      > Regards
      > Rebecca
      >
      > --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "sigridmcmahon" <tesi@> wrote:
      > >
      > > While researching my Solomon connection, I came across The Brown
      > > Family Papers, held at the University of Cape Town Libraries,
      > > Manuscripts and Archives, donated in the mid 1970ies by a member of
      > > the family of Joseph Solomon (brother of the above Saul)who left St.
      > > Helena in 1831 and settled in Cape Town. I ordered some photocopies
      > > and among them was a copy of notes from a Prayer Book that belonged
      > > to Saul Solomon. The inscription reads:
      > > S. Solomon.
      > > The gift of his mother which he received by the Europea Store Ship,
      > > 4th July 1808.
      > > S. Solomon, born 25th December 1776
      > > Margaret Solomon, born 1st October 1782
      > > Births:
      > > Benjamin Solomon, born 23rd June 1801
      > > Phoebe Solomon, born 20th May 1804
      > > Henry Rob Solomon, born 28th July 1806
      > > Miriam Solomon, born 8th July 1808
      > > John Blenham Solomon, born 2nd December 1810
      > > The above were born at St. Helena.
      > > Margaret Sarah Solomon, born 5th January 1813 at 3 a.m. in London,
      > > West Square
      > > Lee Solomon, born 29th March 1815 at S. Helena
      > > It pleased the Almighty to take from me my dear wife, Margaret
      > > Solomon, the 14th June 1815 at 2 o'clock p.m.
      > > The Prayer Book is an indefinite loan to the Jewish Library in Cape
      > > Town.
      > > The Brown Family Papers also confirm what is mentioned in the Susser
      > > Archives, ie that Saul Solomon was one of 22 or 21 or 18 children
      > > (those are the numbers I have so far come across), that his father
      > > was Nathaniel Solomon and his mother was Phoebe de Metz, born in
      > > Leyden and part of a Dutch Jewish family some of whom settled in
      > > London. (Her sister Matilda de Metz married Levy Salomons and they
      > > are the parents of Philip Salomons and Sir David Salomons). Phoebe de
      > > Metz married Nathaniel Solomon at the age of 15 and apparently was
      > > left a widow at 40 and lived to a ripe old age in comfortable
      > > circumstances in London. The Solomon family seem to have originated
      > > in Kent and the places mentioned are Canterbury and Margate. (My
      > > Lewis Gideon (Solomon)gives his place of birth with Canterbury, Saul
      > > is supposed to have been born in Margate).
      > > Regards,
      > > Sigi

    • Grant Barnes
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hi Sigi
        Thanks for that it's all very interesting isn't it? The Solomon's and Moss' like you said seem to be very hard to figure out the connection between. I'm sure we're probably related though in some convoluted way haha.
        Thanks for replying to me and look forward to more info from you.
        Regards
        Bec