RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2010
      RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

      Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.

      The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around the edge, and the words "St HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.

      You can find an illustration here:

      http://tinyurl.com/29alty6

      where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleons death

      or here

      http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b

      which is a better illustration.

      HTH

      John Coyle

      Brisbane, Australia

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
        Many thanks John, I guess in the early days there would have been some
        trading in coins as ships went to and from India and other places... a
        ready movement of sailors and troops, so if one person on the way 'home'
        to England could only pay in rupees for example I imagine the local
        shopkeepers would have been able to give change to another person
        heading in the opposite direction. The arithmetical skills for
        conversion must have been good and becuse it had a useful need, I'm sure
        the people all quickly learned to do it... best way to teach kids
        subtraction is the dart board!!
        Appreciate your help
        Cheers
        Caroline

        John Coyle wrote:

        > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
        > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
        >
        > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
        > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
        > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
        > inside. The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
        >
        > You can find an illustration here:
        >
        > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
        >
        > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
        >
        > or here
        >
        > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
        >
        > which is a better illustration.
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > John Coyle
        >
        > Brisbane, Australia

      • Caroline Gaden
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
          Hi Ted
          Wouldn't it be so much easier if there was just one currency world
          wide... with only one place where notes could be printed... but if we
          didn't have to convert from one coinage to another our skills in
          arithmetic would go downhill!
          Cheers
          Caroline

          Ted Swart wrote:

> [...]
          > closer to home my wife and I got married in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
          > which is in a total mess because of a reprehensible dictator Mugabe and
          > his cronies who have completely mismanaged the country (and committed
          > many heinous crimes) and all four of our children were born there
          > (before emigrating to Canada).
          >
          > And now you write about New South Wales (in Canada!) and its odd
          > mishmash of currencies in its early days which eventually got replaced
          > by the £ sterling. One of the striking examples of mismanagement of
          > Zimbabwe was the endless printing of evermore valueless bank notes by
          > Governor Gono of the Reserve Bank. I even have in my possession a fifty
          > trillion dollar (YES trillion) Zimbabwean note which was worth no more
          > than toilet paper soon after it was printed. Zimbabwe is now in
          > marginally better shape because the so-called Government of National
          > Unity (or GNU -- with apologies to the animal of that name) decided --
          > very sensibly -- to do the reverse of what happened in NSW.They have now
          > abandoned the use of Zim dollars and use instead a mishmash of
          > currencies -- American dollars, British pounds, South African rand &
          > Botswana pula and are in somewhat better financial shape (helped to a
          > significant extent by the discovery of huge diamond deposits).
          >
          > I could not help but notice the odd anti-link with NSW.
          >
          > Perhaps I may be forgiven for saying that -- knowing what happened in
          > Zimbabwe -- I am truly alarmed at the way in which the US is currently
          > printing mounds of money as if it is going out of fashion.
          >
          > Forgive me for going off at a tangent -- particularly since I do not
          > have anything to contribute to the currency story with respect to St
          > Helena.
          >
          > Best wishes to all of you,
          >
          > . . Ted Swart . .
          >

          > On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 10:02 +1000, Caroline Gaden wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Everyone
          > > I've been researching the monetary system in New South Wales from the
          > > arrival of the First Fleet and now have a better understanding of the
          > > mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in
          > > Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.
          > >
          > > In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use
          > > the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to
          > > take
          > > effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in
          > > NSW].
          > >
          > > My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the
          > > ships
          > > used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also
          > > home
          > > again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use
          > > pre-1825?
          > > Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a
          > > local
          > > currency have been acceptable to local traders?

        • A.H.Schulenburg
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
            At the Volcano Club on the American base on Ascension Island you can pay in St Helena/Ascension coinage, but you'll always get the change in US Dollars.

            Regards,
            Alexander

            John Coyle wrote:

            > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
            > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
            >
            > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
            > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
            > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
            > inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
            >
            > You can find an illustration here:
            >
            > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
            >
            > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
            >
            > or here
            >
            > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
            >
            > which is a better illustration.
            >
            > HTH
            >
            > John Coyle
            >
            > Brisbane, Australia

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                st-helena-genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                st-helena-genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Ally Morgan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010

              As a very proud Aussie, Ted, I think Caroline was talking about Oz, not Canada.   I remember being in Zimbabwe a few years back and being offered a huge pile of Zim in exchange for a much smaller bundle of Zam. Oh dear, what a mess we've made of the world!
              Cheers,
              Ally