RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

  • John Coyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2010
      RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

      Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.

      The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around the edge, and the words "St HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.

      You can find an illustration here:

      http://tinyurl.com/29alty6

      where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleons death

      or here

      http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b

      which is a better illustration.

      HTH

      John Coyle

      Brisbane, Australia

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2010
        What a fascinating question Caroline. As far as my own personal family
        history is concerned I happen to have a great great grandfather Richard
        Riley who got married on Tristan da Cunha to a Sarah Bassett Knipe from
        St Helena -- with their children being born on Tristan. And coming
        closer to home my wife and I got married in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
        which is in a total mess because of a reprehensible dictator Mugabe and
        his cronies who have completely mismanaged the country (and committed
        many heinous crimes) and all four of our children were born there
        (before emigrating to Canada).

        And now you write about New South Wales (in Canada!) and its odd
        mishmash of currencies in its early days which eventually got replaced
        by the £ sterling. One of the striking examples of mismanagement of
        Zimbabwe was the endless printing of evermore valueless bank notes by
        Governor Gono of the Reserve Bank. I even have in my possession a fifty
        trillion dollar (YES trillion) Zimbabwean note which was worth no more
        than toilet paper soon after it was printed. Zimbabwe is now in
        marginally better shape because the so-called Government of National
        Unity (or GNU -- with apologies to the animal of that name) decided --
        very sensibly -- to do the reverse of what happened in NSW.They have now
        abandoned the use of Zim dollars and use instead a mishmash of
        currencies -- American dollars, British pounds, South African rand &
        Botswana pula and are in somewhat better financial shape (helped to a
        significant extent by the discovery of huge diamond deposits).

        I could not help but notice the odd anti-link with NSW.

        Perhaps I may be forgiven for saying that -- knowing what happened in
        Zimbabwe -- I am truly alarmed at the way in which the US is currently
        printing mounds of money as if it is going out of fashion.

        Forgive me for going off at a tangent -- particularly since I do not
        have anything to contribute to the currency story with respect to St
        Helena.

        Best wishes to all of you,

        . . Ted Swart . .

        On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 10:02 +1000, Caroline Gaden wrote:

        > Hello Everyone
        > I've been researching the monetary system in New South Wales from the
        > arrival of the First Fleet and now have a better understanding of the
        > mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in
        > Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.
        >
        > In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use
        > the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to
        > take
        > effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in
        > NSW].
        >
        > My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the
        > ships
        > used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also
        > home
        > again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use
        > pre-1825?
        > Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a
        > local
        > currency have been acceptable to local traders?
        >
        > Many thanks
        > Caroline

      • Caroline Gaden
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
          Many thanks John, I guess in the early days there would have been some
          trading in coins as ships went to and from India and other places... a
          ready movement of sailors and troops, so if one person on the way 'home'
          to England could only pay in rupees for example I imagine the local
          shopkeepers would have been able to give change to another person
          heading in the opposite direction. The arithmetical skills for
          conversion must have been good and becuse it had a useful need, I'm sure
          the people all quickly learned to do it... best way to teach kids
          subtraction is the dart board!!
          Appreciate your help
          Cheers
          Caroline

          John Coyle wrote:

          > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
          > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
          >
          > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
          > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
          > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
          > inside. The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
          >
          > You can find an illustration here:
          >
          > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
          >
          > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
          >
          > or here
          >
          > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
          >
          > which is a better illustration.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > John Coyle
          >
          > Brisbane, Australia

        • Caroline Gaden
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
            Hi Ted
            Wouldn't it be so much easier if there was just one currency world
            wide... with only one place where notes could be printed... but if we
            didn't have to convert from one coinage to another our skills in
            arithmetic would go downhill!
            Cheers
            Caroline

            Ted Swart wrote:

> [...]
            > > mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in
            > > Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.
            > >
            > > In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use
            > > the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to
            > > take
            > > effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in
            > > NSW].
            > >
            > > My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the
            > > ships
            > > used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also
            > > home
            > > again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use
            > > pre-1825?
            > > Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a
            > > local
            > > currency have been acceptable to local traders?

          • A.H.Schulenburg
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
              At the Volcano Club on the American base on Ascension Island you can pay in St Helena/Ascension coinage, but you'll always get the change in US Dollars.

              Regards,
              Alexander

              John Coyle wrote:

              > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
              > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
              >
              > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
              > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
              > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
              > inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
              >
              > You can find an illustration here:
              >
              > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
              >
              > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
              >
              > or here
              >
              > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
              >
              > which is a better illustration.
              >
              > HTH
              >
              > John Coyle
              >
              > Brisbane, Australia

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  st-helena-genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  st-helena-genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Ally Morgan
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010

                As a very proud Aussie, Ted, I think Caroline was talking about Oz, not Canada.   I remember being in Zimbabwe a few years back and being offered a huge pile of Zim in exchange for a much smaller bundle of Zam. Oh dear, what a mess we've made of the world!
                Cheers,
                Ally