RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Digest Number 69

  • margaret dyson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2005
      I would have liked to have been able to help "fh-muller", cut can't. Will
      keep my eyes and ears open!
      Margaret Dyson

      >From: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      >To: st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Digest Number 69
      >Date: 17 Jan 2005 09:58:46 -0000
      >

      >There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Restarting research but too far away
      > From: "rh_muller" <rhmuller2002@...>

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:53:20 -0000
      > From: "rh_muller" <rhmuller2002@...>
      >Subject: Restarting research but too far away
      >

      >About 20 years ago, I researched my family history originating on
      >one side from the Island of St Helena. My paternal grandmother's
      >mother was named Mary Scott-born about 1899.She was the daughter, as
      >far as I can remember,of Isaac Andrew Lamb Scott of St Helena who
      >jumped ship I'd guess off of Durban.I think that he married a Jane
      >Sophia Bennett by whom he had numerous children including my great
      >grandmother.I think that Isaac was the son of a Charles Scott,but of
      >Jane I know nothing at all other than that her mother suffered
      >from 'religious mania,' whatever that is. Is anyone able to help me
      >shed light on any of these people and indeed go further into this?
      >Many thanks

      >This is the St Helena Institute's 'Forum for Family History'.
      >
      >For information on St Helena family history see
      >http://website.lineone.net/~sthelena/familyhistory.htm
      >
      >For the St Helena Institute's homepage see
      >http://www.st-helena.org

    • rh_muller
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2005
        Many thanks Mrs Dyson.My father actually posted the fruits of my
        original research on to me-about which I had entirely
        forgotten.Isaac was the son of a Charles Scott born in 1830 to Mary
        Scott,a freed slave, and Mary Ann Walker in 1858. As far as I can
        tell, they were freed slaves. I found a Charles Scott mentioned in
        the 1814 census but also a James Scott as a servant to Napoleon
        Bonaparte during his sojourn on the island. The question that arises
        is as to from where exactly the slaves that populated the island
        originated.I see that the Balcombe family had a Malay slave named
        Toby which leads me to suspect that a lot of the slaves were of
        Indonesian origin.Can anybody help out with this information.Jane
        Sophia Bennett was the illegitimate daughter of a Martha Bennett
        born in 1824-who was herself the daughter of Charles and Sarah
        Bennett -also free slaves.How did these ex slaves get names such as
        Scott and Bennett? Certainly, by the time my ancestors got to South
        Africa,they were classified as being white. Were they all the
        illegitimate offspring of slave owners or were they legitimate? Any
        help would be greatly appreciated.
      • lloydcheyne2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
          richaard
          my grandfather personally told me that his ancestors worked for
          napoleon bonaparte and yes they did intermarry the freed slaves as my
          grandfather was very dark and so is my father.

          l scott

          > Many thanks Mrs Dyson.My father actually posted the fruits of my
          > original research on to me-about which I had entirely
          > forgotten.Isaac was the son of a Charles Scott born in 1830 to Mary
          > Scott,a freed slave, and Mary Ann Walker in 1858. As far as I can
          > tell, they were freed slaves. I found a Charles Scott mentioned in
          > the 1814 census but also a James Scott as a servant to Napoleon
          > Bonaparte during his sojourn on the island. The question that
          arises
          > is as to from where exactly the slaves that populated the island
          > originated.I see that the Balcombe family had a Malay slave named
          > Toby which leads me to suspect that a lot of the slaves were of
          > Indonesian origin.Can anybody help out with this information.Jane
          > Sophia Bennett was the illegitimate daughter of a Martha Bennett
          > born in 1824-who was herself the daughter of Charles and Sarah
          > Bennett -also free slaves.How did these ex slaves get names such as
          > Scott and Bennett? Certainly, by the time my ancestors got to South
          > Africa,they were classified as being white. Were they all the
          > illegitimate offspring of slave owners or were they legitimate? Any
          > help would be greatly appreciated.
        • pmorgan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2005
            Further to this, MY g.g.Grandfather claimed that his father was a native of St. Helena, although my g.g. was born in Wick, County Caithness Scotland.  No mention of his mother.  He was a very dark, slightly built man, and we always suspected he was Indian, however the Malay aspect could fit with his general appearance.  Also any light thrown on this mystery would be appreciated.
            Ally Morgan
            South Australia
            my grandfather personally told me that his ancestors worked for
            napoleon bonaparte and yes they did intermarry the freed slaves as my
            grandfather was very dark and so is my father.

            l scott

            > Many thanks Mrs Dyson.My father actually posted the fruits of my
            > original research on to me-about which I had entirely
            > forgotten.Isaac was the son of a Charles Scott born in 1830 to Mary
            > Scott,a freed slave, and Mary Ann Walker in 1858. As far as I can
            > tell, they were freed slaves. I found a Charles Scott mentioned in
            > the 1814 census but also a James Scott as a servant to Napoleon
            > Bonaparte during his sojourn on the island. The question that
            arises
            > is as to from where exactly the slaves that populated the island
            > originated.I see that the Balcombe family had a Malay slave named
            > Toby which leads me to suspect that a lot of the slaves were of
            > Indonesian origin.Can anybody help out with this information.Jane
            > Sophia Bennett was the illegitimate daughter of a Martha Bennett
            > born in 1824-who was herself the daughter of Charles and Sarah
            > Bennett -also free slaves.How did these ex slaves get names such as
            > Scott and Bennett? Certainly, by the time my ancestors got to South
            > Africa,they were classified as being white. Were they all the
            > illegitimate offspring of slave owners or were they legitimate? Any
            > help would be greatly appreciated.

            http://www.st-helena.org

          • LLOYD SCOTT
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2005
              HI ALLY

              DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF THE PERSONS MENTIONED? AS I KNOW WHAT THE ST HELENA'S LOOKED LIKE,THIS WILL ESTABLISH A RESEMBLANCE.

              LLOYD SCOTT
              SCOTLAND