Currency

  • Caroline Gaden
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2010
      Hello Everyone
      I've been researching the monetary system in New South Wales from the
      arrival of the First Fleet and now have a better understanding of the
      mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in
      Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.

      In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use
      the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to take
      effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in NSW].

      My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the ships
      used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also home
      again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use pre-1825?
      Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a local
      currency have been acceptable to local traders?

      Many thanks
      Caroline
    • John Coyle
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2010
        RE: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Currency

        Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.

        The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around the edge, and the words "St HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.

        You can find an illustration here:

        http://tinyurl.com/29alty6

        where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleons death

        or here

        http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b

        which is a better illustration.

        HTH

        John Coyle

        Brisbane, Australia

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2010
          What a fascinating question Caroline. As far as my own personal family
          history is concerned I happen to have a great great grandfather Richard
          Riley who got married on Tristan da Cunha to a Sarah Bassett Knipe from
          St Helena -- with their children being born on Tristan. And coming
          closer to home my wife and I got married in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
          which is in a total mess because of a reprehensible dictator Mugabe and
          his cronies who have completely mismanaged the country (and committed
          many heinous crimes) and all four of our children were born there
          (before emigrating to Canada).

          And now you write about New South Wales (in Canada!) and its odd
          mishmash of currencies in its early days which eventually got replaced
          by the £ sterling. One of the striking examples of mismanagement of
          Zimbabwe was the endless printing of evermore valueless bank notes by
          Governor Gono of the Reserve Bank. I even have in my possession a fifty
          trillion dollar (YES trillion) Zimbabwean note which was worth no more
          than toilet paper soon after it was printed. Zimbabwe is now in
          marginally better shape because the so-called Government of National
          Unity (or GNU -- with apologies to the animal of that name) decided --
          very sensibly -- to do the reverse of what happened in NSW.They have now
          abandoned the use of Zim dollars and use instead a mishmash of
          currencies -- American dollars, British pounds, South African rand &
          Botswana pula and are in somewhat better financial shape (helped to a
          significant extent by the discovery of huge diamond deposits).

          I could not help but notice the odd anti-link with NSW.

          Perhaps I may be forgiven for saying that -- knowing what happened in
          Zimbabwe -- I am truly alarmed at the way in which the US is currently
          printing mounds of money as if it is going out of fashion.

          Forgive me for going off at a tangent -- particularly since I do not
          have anything to contribute to the currency story with respect to St
          Helena.

          Best wishes to all of you,

          . . Ted Swart . .

          On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 10:02 +1000, Caroline Gaden wrote:

          > Hello Everyone
          > I've been researching the monetary system in New South Wales from the
          > arrival of the First Fleet and now have a better understanding of the
          > mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in
          > Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.
          >
          > In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use
          > the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to
          > take
          > effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in
          > NSW].
          >
          > My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the
          > ships
          > used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also
          > home
          > again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use
          > pre-1825?
          > Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a
          > local
          > currency have been acceptable to local traders?
          >
          > Many thanks
          > Caroline

        • Caroline Gaden
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
            Many thanks John, I guess in the early days there would have been some
            trading in coins as ships went to and from India and other places... a
            ready movement of sailors and troops, so if one person on the way 'home'
            to England could only pay in rupees for example I imagine the local
            shopkeepers would have been able to give change to another person
            heading in the opposite direction. The arithmetical skills for
            conversion must have been good and becuse it had a useful need, I'm sure
            the people all quickly learned to do it... best way to teach kids
            subtraction is the dart board!!
            Appreciate your help
            Cheers
            Caroline

            John Coyle wrote:

            > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
            > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
            >
            > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
            > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
            > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
            > inside. The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
            >
            > You can find an illustration here:
            >
            > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
            >
            > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
            >
            > or here
            >
            > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
            >
            > which is a better illustration.
            >
            > HTH
            >
            > John Coyle
            >
            > Brisbane, Australia

          • Caroline Gaden
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
              Hi Ted
              Wouldn't it be so much easier if there was just one currency world
              wide... with only one place where notes could be printed... but if we
              didn't have to convert from one coinage to another our skills in
              arithmetic would go downhill!
              Cheers
              Caroline

              Ted Swart wrote:

> [...]
              > > mish-mash of various currencies in use eg Spanish dollars [minted in
              > > Mexico], rupee, mohur, pagoda, ducat, Johanna, promisary notes etc.
              > >
              > > In 1825 the British Government decreed that all 'colonies' should use
              > > the £ sterling as their basis but it took quite a while for this to
              > > take
              > > effect and the non-Sterling coins to disappear [about ten years in
              > > NSW].
              > >
              > > My questions relate to the East India Company in particular....the
              > > ships
              > > used St Helena as a 're-fueling' point on the way to India and also
              > > home
              > > again. Did St Helena have a similar variety of currency in use
              > > pre-1825?
              > > Was Sterling is use from the earliest days of the EIC or would a
              > > local
              > > currency have been acceptable to local traders?

            • A.H.Schulenburg
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
                At the Volcano Club on the American base on Ascension Island you can pay in St Helena/Ascension coinage, but you'll always get the change in US Dollars.

                Regards,
                Alexander

                John Coyle wrote:

                > Hi Caroline - there certainly was a local currency in St. Helena: I have
                > an example of a halfpenny dated 1821, and I believe these are quite common.
                >
                > The coin is copper, 28mm in diameter, and the face bears the arms of the
                > East India Company, while the obverse has a wreath of laurel all around
                > the edge, and the words "S^t HELENA HALFPENNY" in a circular format next
                > inside.  The date is in the centre, in a straight line.
                >
                > You can find an illustration here:
                >
                > ___http://tinyurl.com/29alty6_
                >
                > where it is described as a commemorative struck on Napoleon’s death
                >
                > or here
                >
                > ___http://tinyurl.com/39bre3b_
                >
                > which is a better illustration.
                >
                > HTH
                >
                > John Coyle
                >
                > Brisbane, Australia

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    st-helena-genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    st-helena-genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Ally Morgan
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010

                  As a very proud Aussie, Ted, I think Caroline was talking about Oz, not Canada.   I remember being in Zimbabwe a few years back and being offered a huge pile of Zim in exchange for a much smaller bundle of Zam. Oh dear, what a mess we've made of the world!
                  Cheers,
                  Ally