Question: When did slavery end on St. Helena?

  • Nancy-Jo Nunez
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2010
      Hi all,
      I've read a lot of the latest postings on the slaves on St. Helena, does anyone
      know when slavery ended or where I could find out more about it?  I have an
      ancestor who ended up in the US about 1871.  I'm trying to find out when slavery
      ended.  Thank you.
    • A.H.Schulenburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2010
        The end of slavery on St Helena came in stages.

        The importation of slaves was made illegal in 1792, and in 1818 it was declared that all children born of slaves after Christmas Day that year were to be born free.

        Slavery as such came to an end in 1832, when the East India Company began the process of emancipating the island's slaves.

        Regards,
        Alexander

        I've read a lot of the latest postings on the slaves on St. Helena, does anyone
        know when slavery ended or where I could find out more about it? I have an
        ancestor who ended up in the US about 1871. I'm trying to find out when slavery
        ended. Thank you.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            st-helena-genealogy-digest@yahoogroups.com
            st-helena-genealogy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Nancy-Jo Nunez
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 14, 2010
          Thanks Alexander and everyone for posting on slavery, my ancestor was born about 1851 on St. Helena, so would have been free there.  Does anyone know of any resources where I could find ship's listings that would have taken him off island around 1850?  Thank you.

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/st- helena-genealogy /join