Hillman family

  • kennedyjacquelyn
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
      I am researching the Hillman family on St. Helena and it has been a while since I've been on this group site.

      A couple of years ago, we received births and marriages for Hillmans from Archives staff and found this notation about our ancestors:

      Henry Hillman (full/ a laborer), lived at The Briars, married Jane Elizabeth Connelly (full), also of The Briars, on 26 December 1856 at St. Paul's Church, St. Helena.'

      They had a daughter, Eliza, born 05 February 1873. Eliza married John William Anderson in Cape Town, South Africa when she was only 13 years old.

      I've seen quite a few recent posts about the slave families on the island. Is there a way to determine if our Hillman family were slaves?

      Also, does anyone know if there are any known ship transcriptions (of those who migrated to South Africa)?