Claud Huckle & dentistry in St Helena

  • John Toby
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2010

      I am researching the Huckle family.  Claud was my great-uncle.  He was born in Victoria, Australia in 1872, and was educated and trained as a dentist in England.  He probably practised in England although he did also travel to California in 1904.  He was married to Violet Irene in Worthing, Sussex in 1908 and apparently remained in England for some time after that.  At some point he went to St Helena and was certainly there in 1923, 1924 and 1926 (two of these dates from incoming ship records).  In 1924 he accompanied the Governor on a visit to Ascension Island as adc.  The family understanding is that he lived on the island for many years and presumably practised as a dentist there. He also had an article published about bird life on the island.   Another family has recorded that he died in South Africa in 1943. We have no knowledge of him and his wife having children or of what became of her.

      I have been trying to discover other details of his life on the island and the dentistry services at the time (between the wars).  Unfortunately the archives apparently have no record of him or relevant information about dentistry.  I am afraid that there is not much genealogy in this question unless the couple had children but I am hoping that someone might have some useful information or suggestions.

      Many thanks

      John Toby