Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] 1827 Listing of Slaves

  • Leonard Meek
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27 10:24 AM
      Hi, I'm not Colin, but I did find some data on the Maggott family some time ago. They were slaves of the East India Co. Benjamin married Margaret James in Dec. 1810. Two sons, Charles and Banjamin, were born in 1820, though I think there may have been an error in the date of one. Charles died here in Hawaii in Aug 1859. Benjamin settled in New Bedford, MA. Both apparently changed their names to Magnett. I too would be interested in any additional info on the Maggott/Magnett families.

      Leonard Meek
      Hawaii

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 27 3:20 PM
        Thank you Leonard, though there is no link (yet) from your Maggotts to mine.

        My maternal ggf was a  JOHN BENJAMIN MAGGOTT born on St Helena about 1868. He left the island and settled, with his family, in Cape Town about 1890. Interesting though that the name Benjamin occurs again.

        John

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 27 3:32 PM
          Hi John.

          I've read that some of the Maggott's became Maggett's, Macket's, and even Margate's, in addition to Magnett.

          Leonard

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2011
            John, last year you posted a request for info on the name, "Maggott." I have some tentative data on a Benjamin Maggott, who was my G-G-G-Grandfather. He was a slave for the East India Company. The name (in our case) was apparently changed to Magnett. There were at least two lines of Magnett descendants, one settling in New Bedford and the other in Hawaii. I'm sure there were others that I'm not aware of. I hope this helps.

            Leonard