Re: [St.H.Fam.Hist.] Slaves and slave owners in 1827

  • John Dady
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27 9:25 AM
      Very many thanks Colin, ... and my membership application to FOSH is "in the post"!
      I look forward to seeing your completed work.

      John Dady

      On 27 July 2010 18:10, foxhome <colin@...> wrote:

      Folks,

      Please note that when I set out to transcribe the 1827 slave details form the India Office Records my intention was that I would use the information in a way to benefit the Society of Friends of St Helena (FOSH) see http://www.fosh.org.uk/

      I am still working on this data and as the information I have been providing is incomplete, I have not been pushing for this, However, when I do complete the database (which has many more family relationships recorded) I intend to make the information available to Members of FOSH only.

      Membership is only £15 per year and for this you get copies of the Wirebird journal and St Helena Connections magazine and you can also attend 2 meetings a year during which you get to hear speakers talk about many aspects of St Helena history. The October meeting this year will have a Napoleonic theme with the authors of 3 recent books giving talks and with an introduction by David Markham.

      Nest years meeting in June will have a slave theme with speakers talking on the excavation of the Free African Cemetery and also about the anti slave patrols and the Vice Admiralty Court on the island.

      If you are interested in St Helena, its heritage and its people please join the Society

      Regards

      Colin Fox

    • frankfcraig@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27 9:31 AM
        Do you accept international members? I am based in the UK.

        Out of interest, how big is your database and what are your plans?

        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27 10:33 AM
          I would like to join the FOSH. How do I make the payment?

          Leonard Meek
          Hawaii

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 28 1:30 AM

            The Friends of St Helena (FOSH) are currently going through some changes with a new membership secretary taking over soon. I believe moves are afoot (may already be in place) to allow people to pay their subs on-line. Currently you can join the society using the link on the webpage http://www.fosh.org.uk/

            Re the database. It currently covers 880 slaves and 140 slave owners and runs to 29000 words (incl index)

            My long term plan is to add as many names of people living on the island during the 1820-1830 period as I can including the garrison and hopefully the free black population. I am not a web buff so I’m not sure yet how I will get this info on line. I am hoping that the FOSH will be able to get a members only link from the web page and someone will be able to sort this for me. Otherwise I will deal with individual queries using the FOSH membership list.

            Providing the info on emails is not difficult as I have transferred some of the info into an Excel file, separated the first and last names into separate columns and set up sort buttons so I can enter a last name and pull out all the slaves with that name. This can then be cut and pasted into the email.

            I will endeavour to provide an open index so that anyone will be able to see if information is available on the database.

            Regards

            Colin

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 28 7:39 AM
              Colin, May  contact you offline
              We are busy with a recon. of all slaves for a combined database with  all records avaialble,, found some mopre thawt we will digitize, but wouldlike nto discuss your possible inut as well. Thankss. my official mail is KraussIs@...

              Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
              27 954 6666 h
              082 851 5648 mobile
               011 645 1606 office

              From: "foxhome" <colin@foxhome. plus.com>

              Sender: st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com

              Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:10:02 +0100

              To: <st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com>

              ReplyTo: st-helena-genealogy @yahoogroups. com

[...]

            • judith.armstrong77
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
                Hi
                I am desended from a slave family who left St H in the 1850s. I have a copy of a marriage certificate of 1823 showing the name of the owners plus a birth certificate for a baby girl from 1825. Of course she was born free. It was this daughter who came to Australia, living until 1900.

                I can be better contacted on jarmstrong@... if you want more details.

                Judith

                --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Isebelle Krauss <iekrauss@...> wrote:

                > Colin, May  contact you offline
                > We are busy with a recon. of all slaves for a combined database with  all
                > records avaialble,, found some mopre thawt we will digitize, but wouldlike nto
                > discuss your possible inut as well. Thankss. my official mail is
                > KraussIs@...
                >
                > Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                > 27 954 6666 h
                > 082 851 5648 mobile
                >  011 645 1606 office
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Isebelle Krauss
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 20, 2010
                  Hi, I wpould love to get your information..Who was your ancestor? I cannot get onto your  email address it is blocked.
                  thank you for respnding, kind regards, Isebelle.

                  Isebelle E Krauss *Lloyd
                  authorized reperesentative Southern Africa
                  Oral Genealogy, Aquisitions
                  Genealogical Society of Utah, ta. Familysearch.
                  27 954 6666 h
                  082 851 5648 mobile
                   011 645 1606 office

                  I am desended from a slave family who left St H in the 1850s. I have a copy of a marriage certificate of 1823 showing the name of the owners plus a birth certificate for a baby girl from 1825. Of course she was born free. It was this daughter who came to Australia, living until 1900.

                  I can be better contacted on jarmstrong@... if you want more details.

                  Judith

                  --- In st-helena-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, Isebelle Krauss <iekrauss@...> wrote:

                  > Colin, May  contact you offline
                  > We are busy with a recon. of all slaves for a combined database with  all
                  > records avaialble,, found some mopre thawt we will digitize, but wouldlike nto
                  > discuss your possible inut as well. Thankss. my official mail is
                  > KraussIs@...
                  >
                  > Isebelle E.Krauss*Lloyd
                  > 27 954 6666 h
                  > 082 851 5648 mobile
                  >  011 645 1606 office

                • John Gardiner
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 21, 2010
                  I've been continuing to research my own family roots through the Casar/Caesar family line on the island.  I've attached an updated version of an article that appeared in a recent copy of Wirebird.

                  This has become something of a living document in terms of being updated as and when new information is discovered, with the most recent additions kindly coming from Colin Fox.

                  If any one has anything to add or correct, I'd be delighted to hear from them as there are still many missing pieces of the jigsaw!

                  Best regards,

                  John Gardiner